HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-21-2010, 10:52 PM   #1
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Stocker running in SuperStock.....?

Ok, a question since Houston has no Stock what about running the Challenger in Super Stock ? Im understanding is it falls into SS/IA and well so it can run in SS/JA with the 5.7

From a Mechanical perspective I believe the car meets all the requirments, trans shield,The cage is certed, everything "appears" to be all good from a rules perspective, what I "see" is a car that we "THINK" In testing should be good for 10.5 lets say out of the box from what we know from the 6.1 and what we know NOT to do

So lets just say , the DP with a 5.7, 305 hp at 3100lbs is good for 10.5, the JA index is 11 , the Record is 9.93 @130 .

A)Is there anything that would prevent the car from being ALLOWED to run as a SS Car ?
B)Is running say .4-.5 under Index good enough to Qualify ?
C)Is there ANY way that running it as such could hurt the Combo for Stock ?
D)How much more consistent are SS cars ? Or is it the opposite ?
E)How many people will I piss off by Trying it ? (that was a joke)

It looks like well be good for Houston, and have 2 solid days of testing prior (we have a track arranged For PROPER testing and setup changes on OUR Schedule.

If the Car is Ready , and (and well know this in testing) Capable, is there a reason NOT To do it ?
Chris "Drooze" Wertman 3132 (F/SA 2009 Challenger Drag Pak #24 with a best of 10.59)
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Stocker running in SuperStock.....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed OBrien View Post
If the record is in the 9's you will have to have the proper license . If everything else is legal what's not to like ! Have a nice day
Im liscenced....I dont think it will be running that fast (if we do Ill be busy doing a Polka in the pits after the run) as well as running up and down the pits screaming ..... weeeeeeeeeee ......(hell I may be doing that anyway if/when I get it back to the track)

If you see someone on a Harley Golf Cart buzzing around going weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee......or vrrrroooooooommmmm well you know who it is.

Thanks

(Nuther question has anyone ever run an eliminator with the Golf Carts ? Sounds like good rainy day fun , and I really want to race someone in this cart)
Chris "Drooze" Wertman 3132 (F/SA 2009 Challenger Drag Pak #24 with a best of 10.59)
Old 03-22-2010, 02:33 AM   #3
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 2,118 Times in 608 Posts

A true Super Stock car has a advantage on a marginal track... Reasons are much large tires and more sophisticated and tunable suspension. A transbrake add consistency to driving and seem to make reaction times closer together and more repeatable for many drivers. SS/JA does not require a license/Cert. Cage/Multlayer suit. SS/IA requires all those to be added. I f car runs 10.99 or faster must have transhield or blanket.
Other than Indy or some over 128 card divisionals all cars run .... as long as you can run index you can compete successfully and will be OK if you do not catch a heads up race. We regularly run Super Stock at races where Stock is not run or it fills up early. Stockers have more than a few times won a National Race in Super Stock. Do people like it.......many do not appreciate it since they can not run in Stock and the feel it keeps more legitimate Super Stocks from racing their eliminator.

Just my .02 worth. John Irving

Last edited by GTX JOHN; 03-22-2010 at 04:34 AM.
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 05:02 AM   #4
Frito

Liked 119 Times in 40 Posts

Don Little won a National event a few years ago with his Challenger which at that time was built as a stocker but he ran it in Super Stock also.
Old 03-22-2010, 07:31 AM   #5
Terry Cain

Liked 225 Times in 104 Posts

Don't forget. Most HP ratings for SS are different than Stock. Might wanna check.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:27 AM   #6
Jack Matyas
Live Reporter

Liked 1,779 Times in 357 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jack Matyas
Talking Re: Stocker running in SuperStock.....?

Quote:
Originally Posted by drooze View Post

(Nuther question has anyone ever run an eliminator with the Golf Carts ? Sounds like good rainy day fun , and I really want to race someone in this cart)

Greg Xakellis ( former D1 Director ) tried it about 15 or so years ago at a National Open held at Beaver Springs ,PA and I can tell you for sure it will never , ever be tried again here in D1 ...............way too much crazy stuff went on -- and from a liability standpoint -- well its just a huge nightmare . But I must admit it was big fun for sure ! ! ! !
Old 03-22-2010, 10:46 AM   #7
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Matyas View Post
Greg Xakellis ( former D1 Director ) tried it about 15 or so years ago at a National Open held at Beaver Springs ,PA and I can tell you for sure it will never , ever be tried again here in D1 ...............way too much crazy stuff went on -- and from a liability standpoint -- well its just a huge nightmare . But I must admit it was big fun for sure ! ! ! !
Lol....it sounds like it would be, I can top 40 I think, if I put an expansion chamber on it, wow....who knows....(46 maybe)

My "power" on the cart use has been getting it up with a bigger carb and the HC piston for "towing" use, and I can pull a 4000lb car with no issue even up a grade. But I just put the new Goodyear 19x7.50x10 slicks on it and really slick ultralight rims (leftovers from my sons Jr well never run

So the ratio should be a bit taller..lol...I love my cart, like everything else here (except the challenger DP) Crusty rusty, and mechanically A1...my $200 beast (ok now its up to $245 with the Tillston rebuild kit and somother parts)

Maybe I should put some Articat stickers on it and call it a Snowmobile for ins purposes
Old 03-22-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
Jeff Teuton
VIP Member

Liked 326 Times in 50 Posts

Check to see if you need the trans shield, window net, certified chassis, and the better fire suit for starters. I think the 6.1 DP cars falls SS/DA or EA ( can I say Mustang ss/da @ 9.08) and I think you need the cage, shield, net, and chassis there. I am planning on being there is SS/JA, and you should see how big a blanket a XXX L fire suit is. Must be 10 yards of material in that thing.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:27 PM   #9
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Weve got all that, cage certed, net, and trans shield, Ive got to check on the Suit, I think its ok, could be wrong, which means probably am wrong.

Well be running a 5.7, bummer is I just sold a set of monster ported heads not too long ago they would have been great for this. Sold em because I couldnt run em in stock and they sat on the shelf for a year, oh well.

I think I can run SS/JA with this combo , if all is well that would be fun, and history as it were the first 2 Challenger DP's running in SS together....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Teuton View Post
Check to see if you need the trans shield, window net, certified chassis, and the better fire suit for starters. I think the 6.1 DP cars falls SS/DA or EA ( can I say Mustang ss/da @ 9.08) and I think you need the cage, shield, net, and chassis there. I am planning on being there is SS/JA, and you should see how big a blanket a XXX L fire suit is. Must be 10 yards of material in that thing.
Old 03-22-2010, 12:37 PM   #10
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 767 Times in 219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Matyas View Post
Jack ,Other than Beaver Bob holding Thompson sub machine gun demos, that was the most fun we had that weekend !............I won the reaction time pot [$75 !] ...............They had a cart race at the D1 bracket finals 2 years ago ,but after last year ,I doubt that will ever happen again........If it would ever stop raining in D1 we wouldent have to race the scooters !........Tom