HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-14-2010, 11:52 AM   #21
blkjack

Liked 52 Times in 17 Posts
Default Re: The Future of Sportsman Racing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
This says it all. This way NHRA wont be sued with a class action law suite like the Pro Stock Truck fiasco.
EXACTLY. The Billy Meyer vision may be fulfilled sooner than later if car counts continue to dwindle. To jog your memory look into:

IHRA headquarters briefly moved to Waco, Texas in 1988 after it was purchased by Texan racer and track operator Billy Meyer who made many changes to the organization, some of which proved controversial amongst racers such as completely restructuring the sportsman classes overnight.
blkjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #22
Urraco

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Kennedy View Post
In My opinion Comp, Super Stock and Stock will always be racing at national events.

Sportsman racing will always be racing at NHRA events cause the bean counters at nhra if they can see the over all picture like the 3 to 4 Million Dollars sportsman bring into the hands of NHRA each year .

We just need to understand we are not the main show and to just laugh, roll with what happens to us , and tolerate being second best to the hugely dwingling pros , as I see the funnies and rails are soon to be a rare breed unless NHRA doesn something about the cost to run in the pros . soon the sportsman will be the majority of the show at a national event oh they already are unless of course it rains .

LOL at us having way to much fun as we should know racing is supposed to be fun so let it be then relaxe and enjoy the ride as soon we will all be done.
Are you sure NHRA is talking about S/SS when they refer to sportsman racing?
Urraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #23
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

I might be wrong but if NHRA loses it's grip on the pros I'd love to see them go match racing around the country like in the 60's.It would be drag racing going full circle,with
S/SS match racing and fuel car match racing like the old days.The current factory cars would lead the way.That would open the door for the expansion of S/SS and Comp
organizations.Probably over simplifying it but I think it would work.Sure would bring back some life to local tracks.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 10:42 PM   #24
Gary Smith

Liked 76 Times in 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
I might be wrong but if NHRA loses it's grip on the pros I'd love to see them go match racing around the country like in the 60's.It would be drag racing going full circle,with
S/SS match racing and fuel car match racing like the old days.The current factory cars would lead the way.That would open the door for the expansion of S/SS and Comp
organizations.Probably over simplifying it but I think it would work.Sure would bring back some life to local tracks.
Jeez Ed, you're on a roll lately!!! I couldn't agree with you more on this, especially the subject of match racing. In fact, I'll say go ahead and hold your breath, because I've received first hand from some disenchanted fuel racers both here and out west that are preparing for independent "booked" shows at any moment. These are former pros who've had enough with runaway costs and the B.S. of corporate schmoozing in order to pay the bills. IHRA certainly had the right idea and seems to be working. It's gonna get interesting no matter what.

For all who feel NHRA has a solid grip on who can host what and which tracks will be surprised to know who is actually in control. NHRA puts their hand out to everyone from fans all the way up to track operators. In this economy the tracks hold the gold keys to drag racing's future, not the Glendora Country Club (Bruton's no dummy). When an organization moves to stiffle competitors it's because they view it as a threat to the cash cow, sending a signal they're losing control. NHRA made their bed and now it's no longer comfortable.
Old 03-16-2010, 10:48 PM   #25
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urraco View Post
Are you sure NHRA is talking about S/SS when they refer to sportsman racing?

The NHRA considers everything below TF, FC, Pro Stock, and Pro Bike as Sportsman that includes Top Alcohol, Comp,etc, and way down at the bottom is S and SS.

JimR
Old 03-17-2010, 07:57 AM   #26
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
I agree 100 % Ed.....Something else thought, I think the NHRA fears JUST THIS, at current, can someone else possibly explain limiting TF driver to 4 Testing session PER YEAR ?!?!? And having a "Match Race" in ANY Country count as such a session.....sounds bit paranoid to me.
Chris "Drooze" Wertman 3132 (F/SA 2009 Challenger Drag Pak #24 with a best of 10.59)
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:10 AM   #27
W J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Question: Does NHRA control, or are they, or IHRA a major player in drag racing in Sweden? Also are there considerable numbers of American stock/superstock cars competing there, or only a few? Just wondering out loud..... WJ
W J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 07:32 PM   #28
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by W J View Post
Question: Does NHRA control, or are they, or IHRA a major player in drag racing in Sweden? Also are there considerable numbers of American stock/superstock cars competing there, or only a few? Just wondering out loud..... WJ

They control their own racing association but I believe they run on NHRA rules.

JimR