Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-23-2009, 09:31 PM   #11
The Hawk
VIP Member

Liked 248 Times in 106 Posts
Send a message via AIM to The Hawk
Default Re: Weird ways to cut a light

After 25 years of racing slow cars at altitude,I`ve always left on the bottom bulb. From 16 second Stockers to 21 second 5500lbs wagons and vans,I`ve always left at the same spot on the bttom bulb. How I`ve done it has taken me 25 years to kind of figure it out. It sure sounds easy.

It`s Not What You Drive That Wins....It`s How You Drive It

Last edited by The Hawk; 10-23-2009 at 09:34 PM.
The Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 07:14 AM   #12
Michael Pliska

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

If I need to lose about 0.02 in reaction time, I press the brake pedal REALLY hard. The extra pedal travel seems to slow it down that much (as well as my foot reacting slower from all the force on it).
Old 10-26-2009, 11:05 AM   #13
GTO/GN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Back in the early 70's , I remember a racer at a track in New Jersey. There was a guy that ran in brackets ( the class back then was called "Street Eliminator" , 14.00 and slower.) He ran a 1970 full size Chevy, it ran in the 17 second range.. He would run a tall front tire , something like a G78 x 15 and only run about 15 lbs of air in the front tires. The tires would look flat..He would have a ton of roll out and always was a killer on the lights.. To bad back then they didn't have reaction times on the time slips..
Old 10-26-2009, 12:18 PM   #14
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

What we used to do years ago was "sidestage". Stage the car at an angle, and keep straightening it out till it went red (no reaction times back then). I remember running Jerry Stein one day and both cars were pointed at the tree. Buster didn't like that at all.
Sounds dumb but it worked back then.
Old 10-26-2009, 12:35 PM   #15
mike natoli

Liked 52 Times in 16 Posts
Talking Re: Weird ways to cut a light

How I spent my summer vacation in 1989 in Ocean City Maryland. I had rented a Crown Vic to go on vacation. It was Friday night and wanted to hit us 13. My first time shot even with going deep was not even close. So the next one I bumped it twice, it got better but I was still not happy. My wife told me that the announcer was saying all types of things about me being a cop in an unmarked car bla bla bla. First round I drove past the lights and "backed" into the stage beam just getting past flickering . Had an .030 light and won first round. Did it again for second round with another .03 needless to say I drew a lot of attention to my self and the starter walked over to me and told me I could not stage like that again. So 3rd round went back to bumping in DEEP my opponent took a ton of stripe on his decent light to my late as can be light and broke out. The 17 second rented Crown VIc did not run the number so I was done. Besides Great beaches, Hearing Danny Gatton at a club and maryland blue claws my visit to Maryland and us 13 was a couple of tons of fun.
mike natoli is offline   Reply With Quote