HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing

Old 07-28-2007, 09:48 AM   #1
BIZMANRACING

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Only Wish It Was Me.

a few weeks ago i started a post titled "unanswered question". the body of that post was a question that i had of how could racers get into the englishtown national event with less than 6 grade points. six points being what has historically been required to get into that event since the northeast is so populaated, and there is, it seems no shartage of money.

in the july 13, 2007 copy of national dragster (the mopar denver nationals souvenior issue) with tony shumacher on the cover. the results of the sportman events were covered. while reading the super street section, my questions were endorsed. or at least i think so.

"Shawn Fricke wasn't even supposed to be part of the super street field in Englishtown, but when another racer dropped out the Tuesday of the event, the longtime bracket racer got the opportunity to enter" so what does this say? was he camping out at the front door of e-town waiting to see if there were any no shows?

or what about this statement out of the same text. in the did you know section.

"this isn't the first time Fricke has won an NHRA event in his debut. He also won the first Divison 1 National Open he entered at ATCO raceway in March." the Shawn gave a quote " the first (national) Open was really my first NHRA national-type race, and I won that race too" said Fricke. "so I've been fairly luckey in my short Super Street career."

so think its pretty clear that my post was correct. my question is how and why? one less car at the event does change the time table of events one way or the other. now, i figure if i was a regualer on the divsion one circuit and i was reading this i would say that "this guy is just crying sour grapes" yes, that is true and i agree. shawns a nice guy. when my car was working we did get to meet during a bracket race at e-town. we will not remember, but i do. you just don't forget going .003 red and running dead on with a zero. my concern is that if you can just park outside the joint and hope to get in i to would like getting a shot at satisying my dream of entering a national event.

being a finance manger at a toyota dealership makes it hard to attend anywhere near the required events (at least 6) to get in to divison one's only national event. most of the divisional events are tied with either holidays (memorial day, 4th of july, and labor day) or they are the last weekend of the month (big car sales day's). so for me, i got no shot really of going. sure i could go to the other divisons that have super street in them like atlanta, or columbus, or chicago. but, i'm not that talented to justify the trip, nor the cost. so if all i need to do is take the week off and park at the track and wait. you know i could do that. i park my trailer only 4.6 miles away from the front door. if i don't get in. well i'll just put it away and just be a fan like i've been since i came up from florida in 97. but, i just would like to know?

to Shawn, i hope there are no hard feelings here. i have no beef with you. your just a racer who wants to race. but, your not alone. for the others who see this as sour grapes i to wish once again to say i'm sorry for wasteing your time and taking up web space.

leaving on a positive note. i played baseball with the us olymipic tean in 1988. i was an old 29 year old catcher who got kept around because i batted left handded (i figure i know the reall truth....lol) i got to play with many great players and future hall of famers. there i got my few weeks of fame. now i can say that i also raced and lost to a very talented racer in shawn fricke by just a few thousands of a second. to luck to all of you and hope to see all of you soon when i can race.
BIZMANRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
crewchiefpro

Default Re: Only Wish It Was Me.

He did not "camp" out, you enter national events by nhra.com. If you constantly check the availability, or you call nhra and have them alert you to an opening you can get in also. It is not difficult actually, and either your division director or nhra itself is happy to make sure an event is filled.

That is how I got into my first national event and now Indy.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:41 PM   #3
G Schenck

Liked 81 Times in 35 Posts

The quota was 60 and only had 59 before the deadline, so all he had to do was have one grade point and pay the late charge.

Greg
G Schenck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 03:07 PM   #4
shawnfricke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Bizman, thanks for the compliment. What is your name and here is my story.

Quote:
so what does this say? was he camping out at the front door of e-town waiting to see if there were any no shows?
You could call it that, I was actually camping out inside the track. My fiance was there running super comp, my car was there and in the trailer hoping that on the outside chance that a spot opened up I could jump in. At the time I had 2 grade points and the spot was technically open to anyone with a grade 1 or higher.

On Tuesday I found out there was a spot available. I had something going on at work and wasn't sure if I could make it back on Thursday to get 1 time run. So I opted not to take the spot. On Wednesday I found out that I could get Thursday afternoon off and decided to see if the spot was still available. At that point well over 24 hours had gone by since the spot had opened up and was available to anyone who wanted it. We spoke to NHRA and Division 1 and they allowed me to do a "gate registration" and be the 60th car in the field.

Quote:
to Shawn, i hope there are no hard feelings here. i have no beef with you. your just a racer who wants to race. but, your not alone.
No hard feelings at all, it was just a fortunate situation for me to be able to take the spot. I certainly would not have parked outside the gate and waited for it but since my car was there I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity.

Shawn
shawnfricke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 06:44 PM   #5
SSTCamaro

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Only Wish It Was Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnfricke View Post
Bizman, thanks for the compliment. What is your name and here is my story.

You could call it that, I was actually camping out inside the track. My fiance was there running super comp, my car was there and in the trailer hoping that on the outside chance that a spot opened up I could jump in. At the time I had 2 grade points and the spot was technically open to anyone with a grade 1 or higher.

On Tuesday I found out there was a spot available. I had something going on at work and wasn't sure if I could make it back on Thursday to get 1 time run. So I opted not to take the spot. On Wednesday I found out that I could get Thursday afternoon off and decided to see if the spot was still available. At that point well over 24 hours had gone by since the spot had opened up and was available to anyone who wanted it. We spoke to NHRA and Division 1 and they allowed me to do a "gate registration" and be the 60th car in the field.

No hard feelings at all, it was just a fortunate situation for me to be able to take the spot. I certainly would not have parked outside the gate and waited for it but since my car was there I wasn't going to pass up the opportunity.

Shawn
LOL...who are you trying to kid Shawn, you were on pins and needles waiting for the opportunity and you maximized on it! Great job by the way!!!

DeVita Racing
SSTCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:28 PM   #6
NED Racer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIZMANRACING View Post
a few weeks ago i started a post titled "unanswered question". the body of that post was a question that i had of how could racers get into the englishtown national event with less than 6 grade points. six points being what has historically been required to get into that event since the northeast is so populaated, and there is, it seems no shartage of money.

in the july 13, 2007 copy of national dragster (the mopar denver nationals souvenior issue) with tony shumacher on the cover. the results of the sportman events were covered. while reading the super street section, my questions were endorsed. or at least i think so.

"Shawn Fricke wasn't even supposed to be part of the super street field in Englishtown, but when another racer dropped out the Tuesday of the event, the longtime bracket racer got the opportunity to enter" so what does this say? was he camping out at the front door of e-town waiting to see if there were any no shows?

or what about this statement out of the same text. in the did you know section.

"this isn't the first time Fricke has won an NHRA event in his debut. He also won the first Divison 1 National Open he entered at ATCO raceway in March." the Shawn gave a quote " the first (national) Open was really my first NHRA national-type race, and I won that race too" said Fricke. "so I've been fairly luckey in my short Super Street career."

so think its pretty clear that my post was correct. my question is how and why? one less car at the event does change the time table of events one way or the other. now, i figure if i was a regualer on the divsion one circuit and i was reading this i would say that "this guy is just crying sour grapes" yes, that is true and i agree. shawns a nice guy. when my car was working we did get to meet during a bracket race at e-town. we will not remember, but i do. you just don't forget going .003 red and running dead on with a zero. my concern is that if you can just park outside the joint and hope to get in i to would like getting a shot at satisying my dream of entering a national event.

being a finance manger at a toyota dealership makes it hard to attend anywhere near the required events (at least 6) to get in to divison one's only national event. most of the divisional events are tied with either holidays (memorial day, 4th of july, and labor day) or they are the last weekend of the month (big car sales day's). so for me, i got no shot really of going. sure i could go to the other divisons that have super street in them like atlanta, or columbus, or chicago. but, i'm not that talented to justify the trip, nor the cost. so if all i need to do is take the week off and park at the track and wait. you know i could do that. i park my trailer only 4.6 miles away from the front door. if i don't get in. well i'll just put it away and just be a fan like i've been since i came up from florida in 97. but, i just would like to know?

to Shawn, i hope there are no hard feelings here. i have no beef with you. your just a racer who wants to race. but, your not alone. for the others who see this as sour grapes i to wish once again to say i'm sorry for wasteing your time and taking up web space.

leaving on a positive note. i played baseball with the us olymipic tean in 1988. i was an old 29 year old catcher who got kept around because i batted left handded (i figure i know the reall truth....lol) i got to play with many great players and future hall of famers. there i got my few weeks of fame. now i can say that i also raced and lost to a very talented racer in shawn fricke by just a few thousands of a second. to luck to all of you and hope to see all of you soon when i can race.
Do you know Jason Oldfield.....maybe you two can private message each other.
NED Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:55 PM   #7
Tom DePascale

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Shawn even though we are friends I for one wished you would have stayed OUTSIDE THE GATE!!!!!!!! No hard feelings here. PS therapy is going very well thank you very much! Are you going to Epping so I know if I should run H/R or S/R??
Tom DePascale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:03 PM   #8
SSTCamaro

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Talking Re: Only Wish It Was Me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom DePascale View Post
Shawn even though we are friends I for one wished you would have stayed OUTSIDE THE GATE!!!!!!!! No hard feelings here. PS therapy is going very well thank you very much! Are you going to Epping so I know if I should run H/R or S/R??
Hey Tom....you and me both!

Come jump into HR with the rest of us....the waters nice and warm

DeVita Racing
SSTCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:28 PM   #9
shawnfricke

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Pete ......you're right, I was hoping I could get in and still make that Thursday timeshot.

Tommy, LOL.....let me know which therapist you are seeing, this way when the shoe is on the other foot I will know where to turn! Oh, and I will be running H/R.

Thanks, Shawn
shawnfricke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 12:18 AM   #10
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by NED Racer View Post
Do you know Jason Oldfield.....maybe you two can private message each other.
I must say, I'm REALLY looking forward to collecting on that beer you promised me...