Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-14-2021, 10:12 AM   #10
DeuceCoupe

Liked 45 Times in 41 Posts
Default Re: Stock and S/S hoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ Sledge View Post
The 66/67 Fairlane 427 hood NHRA history is full of twists and turns.
This is based on my personal experience, at the US Nats in 1988 I showed up with a 1966 Fairlane 427 410hp single 4 barrel/automatic transmission with a class hood, Travis Miller told me my hood was incorrect and I needed to change it to a steel hood/hinges/hood latch setup. He also told me he had all the info on all the 1966 Fairlane 427 cars that had been built by Ford and all had 4 speeds in them. I had to change Hood/Hinges/Hood Latch, before he would let me continue racing that weekend.

Luckly I located a steel hood/hinges/hoodlatch assembly in about 1 hour and was back racing that day. I rented them for $25 for weekend.

In 1989 I was back at Indy with the car and won Class B/SA and the Eliminator, In the winners circle Travis Miller walked up to me and shook my hand and told me that he had "Researched the Ford Archives and told me that even though all the 1966 Fairlanes 427 car produced by Ford were equipped with 4 speeds......that the C6 Automatic Transmission was available to any racer who wanted one"

Since then there have been many changes to satisfy different racers whims running that combo. Way too confusing the way it is now, but thats the way things are.

Just my personal experiences.

Thanks
RJ
Confusing indeed!
And I'm trying to sort out what the rules WERE, over 50 years ago.
Detective work, and some guessing.
Ford DID write "letters" to NHRA sometimes, saying something was "available" or an "option", eg
* Auto trans 427 Fairlanes and steel Galaxies
* Aluminum intake 390GTs
* Fairlane 427 Glass hoods for 1967
* C8AX-C cam factory in the (non-"135") 428CJ cars
Per my understanding none of that stuff actually left the factory in a car.

I have heard RUMORS that a couple auto-trans 427 66-67 Fairlanes were factory built, but just that - rumors. Kinda like the factory 1968 427 W-code Mustangs, that rumor finally put to bed. I think.

Of course GM & Mopar did some of that too, blessing combos that never left the factory except maybe in the trunk. So it all comes back to how the rules were INTERPRETED - in a given year. Not easy.

At least today, as I understand it, if it's in those Excel files online, it's legal to run. But, rules in past years were different. Thanks for the help.
DeuceCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote