HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-20-2016, 07:43 PM   #1
joespanova

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Default Oil starvation issues SBC HELP?

Going back 14 years ago I lost an engine from what I thought was fatigue of an aluminum rod. There was evidence of oil starvation as the bearing was black and just appeared as though there was an oil starvation issue...............but I blamed the rod. I was probably wrong.
Fast forward to the last couple years and I've had everything from an oil pump bypass spring breaking ( lost that engine 3 years ago ) to constant oil pressure / starvation issues. It'll have great oil pressure until I make a hard pass or 2. At that point oil pressure drops and in at least 1 case I completely lost oil pressure and was fortunate to catch it before doing major damage. So , the attempt to remedy was to stop using K& N filters , use a WIX racing filter and use a bypass type filter mount ( dirty oil better than no oil ). Same eventual result in that oil pressure steadily dropped throughout the day / evening. Final round I ran the car with 20 lbs of oil pressure and kept my fingers crossed. At that point I decide to upgrade to a Dart block because of priority main oiling etc etc.
All the previous blocks ( 3 ) were Gen 1 blocks.
The latest block is a Dart Little M ( sportsman ) . So , I start the engine , great oil pressure ( Brad Penn breakin oil ). All week long start , run in some , get ready for the weekend. I think I'm good to go.........then UNBELIEVABLY the same problem is occuring with the Dart block! 2ND RUN PRESSURE IS DROPPING!
Only this time I have a NEW Melling 10552C pump. So , new pump , new block. Oil clearance .0025 /.003.
Engine 355 SBC , Brodix head , 14-1, No restrictors in block.
Moroso Ultimate 2 WET SUMP pan. Scraper.
Vac. pump pulls about 10"-12" vac .
AM I AT THE POINT WHERE A ROTOR TYPE STOCK PUMP CAN NO LONGER GET THE JOB DONE?
RPM range 8700-8900.
If so what do you recommend? Is it aeration? Bad pan design? Do I need to completely RETHINK my oil system? There has to be some common denominator here that transferred to each block.What about an accumulator?
Joe

Last edited by joespanova; 03-20-2016 at 09:23 PM.
joespanova is offline   Reply With Quote