HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default EGT Probe Removal Help

I have Racepak EGT probes in headers, removal of the probes can be very difficult at times (several day process). Is their a high temp anti sieze or other product that can be used to help keep the two tapered surfaces that seal the probe from sticking together?

My process for removal is to lossen the nut, and soak the probe in the header with liquid wrench each day for two days and more. I then see which one can be rotated and removed after two days. The last ones can take over a week.

I see two issues in their removal1). the probe itself gets a build up of gunk on it, making it larger then the header hole opening ( adding the liquid wrench softens this and allows removal); 2). The two tapered surfaces that seal the EGT probe to the header stick together, preventing removal of the probe. Worst case for removal has been to heat the probe and rotate with significant force (damaging probe in process).

My thoughts are to ream out the header probe holes a little for more clearance for the gunk on the probe, not damaging the sealing ( tapered) surfaces, along with a lubricant that would prevent tapered surfaces from sticking, if such exists.

Recommendations on what to use for preventing tapered surfaces from sticking together. Any other suggestions.

Thanks,
Les Otte
323 D/SA
455 is offline   Reply With Quote