Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-18-2010, 07:44 AM   #9
danny waters sr
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightbulb Re: How to Improve S/G, S/C, S/St

Quote:
Originally Posted by BKSG1198 View Post
I think all the throttle stop BS has ruined these classes. Take it from someone who has one of the slowest S/G cars in the US (112mph on the stop) but, even if we lowered the index and made the cars run a certain type of stop it will never draw the fans back. People are sooo brain washed with the NHRA coverage on ESPN and what "John Force is going to do next or what do the Forces do at the beach" that when the Pro's are done everyone wants to get to the pits to see if they can get their 15 minutes of fame on TV and go meet the drivers. Now I bet if NHRA does what NASCAR does and closes the pits down to the public and you have a pass to get in you might draw some more fans in the stands. I hate to say it but, this is for most if not all of the classes. I've brought friends to Divisional events and tried explaining Stk/SS to them and they basically tell me "That's too much thinking to do with this car runs this class cause of how it weighs and the cubic inc of the motor and what type of index it should run". I mean even Comp my friends have a hard time understanding but, of course they LOVE T/S cause of the type of cars that run it and how fast they go. We have to come to realize that we are the "Fill In's" at these events to help the Pro's get ready for the next round the only people who really care about us are people who used to drive or drive a S/G or Stock or Super Stk cars cause they can relate to it. Trust me I love watching Super Stk and Stk and I don't go hide once I'm done my S/G run. I just think we have to realize where we stand and not much can fix it cause as you say sponsors will lose money and the fans that did love watching us have moved on.
Drawing people in the stands is not the whole idea , getting them in the GATE is the ($$$) idea.