Doesn't NHRA allow some aftermarket/replacement parts in stock? Or just SS
Old 09-09-2012, 11:57 AM   #12
KEN BUGAJ

Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts
Default Re: Trend in IHRA Stock Elim?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy1374 View Post
Doesn't NHRA allow some aftermarket/replacement parts in stock? Or just SS
Yeah and doing that it's getting closer and closer to a crate motor.
KEN BUGAJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:06 AM   #13
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Outside of division 9 there is not really that many crate motor cars out there. I would venture to say less than 50 total. Probably more CJ's and DP's being raced than Crate Motors.
THE LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #14
CrateCamaro

Liked 19 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
I'm with Mike. Why would anybody paint themselves into a corner building a car that can only run with one group? IHRA may not be around for ever. I hope they are, but who knows?
I hardly think building an IHRA crate car would be "painting myself into a corner". Where I live im close to alot of IHRA tracks....my home track is NHRA sanctioned but the chances of having a points race is slim and none....and really if I have to sit out and watch for one weekend instead of digging through piles of garbage cast iron intakes, leaky qjets and rotten heads I will. The thought of building a traditional NHRA stocker has crossed my mind with the possibility of having a 3 speed in a 68 SBC combo but I need to have it in writing before I start. At the end of the day, most people dont undertand the whole concept of the crate class anyways. Most will assume its a tuned up dealer piece like they run in the DIRT series but unfortunatly its not. Everything in the engine is the same as a traditional stocker except for the heads and intake....for me a trip to the wreckers will yield me a set of 96 and up vortec heads that will actually work well out of the box....im only 32 but the last time I looked I never seen a 68 camaro/impala/chevelle/ect at the wrecking yard with a 350/295hp engine thats was carb to pan that would be salvagable or afordable. And no the index and the HP ratings are not all that soft...for example I run a 330hp vortec crate combo in H....3305 is my minimum and the index is 11.95...ive been picking at this combination for 5 years now and after finding and using every single ounce of HP (STOCK ELIMINATOR) and can go 1 under the index....or more if need be...not bragging by any means but I do work on my stuff alot....ask my wife....LOL. If you are surrounded by IHRA tracks I would definitly be building an IHRA crate motor....and hopefully some day NHRA will alow us to run as well.

Last edited by CrateCamaro; 09-10-2012 at 04:46 PM.
CrateCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 05:02 PM   #15
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Donald Barnes(Worked for Jeff and Charlie Taylor for years) told me you don't want crate motors in NHRA. I asked why. He said your pockets aint deep enough son. I said I don't understand. He said all it takes is for one of those NHRA guys decide they want a crate motor and you're done. You will never outrun them. LOL
THE LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:24 PM   #16
Brandon Peterson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE LEGEND View Post
Donald Barnes(Worked for Jeff and Charlie Taylor for years) told me you don't want crate motors in NHRA. I asked why. He said your pockets aint deep enough son. I said I don't understand. He said all it takes is for one of those NHRA guys decide they want a crate motor and you're done. You will never outrun them. LOL
I say bring it
Brandon Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 09:50 PM   #17
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 137 Times in 51 Posts
Post Re: Trend in IHRA Stock Elim?

It doesn't matter how fast they might be if you don't run them heads-up! Several crate motor classes to choose from and crate motors can get HP added to them also!
Myron Piatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 10:07 PM   #18
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Random thoughts...

NHRA skipped crate motors and went straight to crate cars.

I know some folks who had pestered IHRA about allowing crate motors in Super Stock GT many years ago, but the answer was always no.

It all seems kind of silly, after reading all of the "superceded parts" threads.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:31 PM   #19
171notch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I agree with ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^! the powers that be should have taken the new cars and crate motor stuff and formed stock F/X. The aaa,bbb, and ccc classes crack me up. But I think that was done cause how the cj's, dp's and copo's are advertised and sold.
171notch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #20
KEN BUGAJ

Liked 18 Times in 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Peterson View Post
I say bring it
X-2 Brandon Why push it and cheat,,
Most of the crate motor cars and I say MOST have out of the box cyl. heads & intake
with a valve job, new springs and that's about it.
That's the good point,, Not spending $3,000 to have all the tricks done on a set of heads and intake.
That was Mike Baker & Terry Bell's idea of getting more people into stock with out
spending a ton of money.........
Remember crate motor's can get hit bye the Horse Power God .....
I know people cheat ! I picked up a crate motor car a couple year's ago from a Div. 3 racer and when we went through the car we found a delay box ! WHY !!!
These guy's are not racer's just cheaters !!!!

Last edited by KEN BUGAJ; 09-15-2012 at 08:18 AM.
KEN BUGAJ is offline   Reply With Quote