Liked 174 Times in 39 Posts
Default Long Island getting a part-time drag strip

https://www.nhra.com/news/2021/calve...a-member-track
Angelo DiTocco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 08:52 PM   #2
Carl Juliano

Liked 63 Times in 23 Posts
Default Re: Long Island getting a part-time drag strip

Hopefully it becomes a permanent deal. Here is a cool article from Dragzine explaining the whole project.
https://www.dragzine.com/news/the-lo...0RVdWFit5thRS0
Carl Juliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 06:08 AM   #3
Henrys Toy

Liked 493 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Juliano View Post
Hopefully it becomes a permanent deal. Here is a cool article from Dragzine explaining the whole project.
https://www.dragzine.com/news/the-lo...0RVdWFit5thRS0
I hope it can grow into something as well. It would be good for all us car guys here, and when you consider that Raceway Park that was in Englishtown N.J. is no longer there to draw away business, this could be good for the ROI as well. I just hope that people (racers) don't shoot ourselves in the foot and show the "Town" that they were right all along , to not let us go racing there.
In the Dragzine article he points out all the difficulties that building a Drag Strip today will encounter. I know we will have to " walk - before we can run" . Typical small town politics has quagmired this property for way too long. Finally something positive , and being a former Grumman employee
I had always wanted to blast down one of those runways. Lets all keep our fingers crossed on this one.

Respectfully,
Henry Kunz
1534 H/SA
B&B Auto Machine
Henrys Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:12 AM   #4
bsimms89

Liked 63 Times in 15 Posts

The main group renting it is doing 4 weekends, they are doing 1/8th mile racing, muffler cars only, and a max of 115mph and no faster than 6.0 ET in the 1/8th. They made those concessions to sell it to the town board and get a foot in the door, but people are already coming out complaining about the noise it'll make, that the track prep will contaminate the ground water, there are endangered birds in the area etc. So hopefully it'll go well and we can get more in the future, I'm going to take my street car there for a couple of the days to support it. The runways have plenty of length for full length races, one runway on the property is 10,000' long and the other is 7,000'
bsimms89 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 08:30 AM   #5
joe huestis

Liked 381 Times in 105 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Long Island getting a part-time drag strip

Hope this takes off well. Never thought I would see the day a new track would open in L.I. Having raced at National Speedway and Westhampton back in the day, I remember the crowds that would attend these tracks. The NYC radio stations would play ads shouting “Sunday ! Sunday ! at NY National Speedway ! “ Hopefully, when they do open the track, management will have a drivers’ meeting each event to stress the importance of abiding by all the agreed upon rules with the town, otherwise this may be short lived. All it takes is a few doing something stupid as they leave the track to ruin it for all. Long Islanders,show the towns people that drag racers are not the rowdies they perceive them all to be !

Last edited by joe huestis; 07-09-2021 at 08:32 AM.
joe huestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 05:38 PM   #6
Mike Schwartz

Liked 192 Times in 65 Posts

It's only six miles north of the old NY National Speedway site.
Mike Schwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2021, 09:39 AM   #7
Carl Juliano

Liked 63 Times in 23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsimms89 View Post
The main group renting it is doing 4 weekends, they are doing 1/8th mile racing, muffler cars only, and a max of 115mph and no faster than 6.0 ET in the 1/8th. They made those concessions to sell it to the town board and get a foot in the door, but people are already coming out complaining about the noise it'll make, that the track prep will contaminate the ground water, there are endangered birds in the area etc. So hopefully it'll go well and we can get more in the future, I'm going to take my street car there for a couple of the days to support it. The runways have plenty of length for full length races, one runway on the property is 10,000' long and the other is 7,000'
My brother and I will be there with our street car also. The way the track is situated, the closest home is a mile away. The NIMBYs wont hear the cars, and unmuffled cars won't be as noisy as they think from that distance. It will be less noise than the gun range by Firemans Field. Lets stay positive, bring your hot rods out and have some fun with it............you never know.
Carl Juliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2021, 09:40 PM   #8
joe huestis

Liked 381 Times in 105 Posts

Those of you who attended, how did it go today ? The videos posted on Facebook showed quite a turnout.
joe huestis is offline   Reply With Quote