HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-20-2016, 10:39 PM   #1
HawkBrosMav

Liked 277 Times in 68 Posts
Default Attention all az, ca, nv, ut, nm, tx stk/ss racers:

My Brother and I are considering trying to put together a Stk/SS combo racing association that will be based out of Tucson Dragway and Wild Horse Pass. We have been working on the rules and payout structure, first. We are now to the point where we want to gauge the interest level of the racers, before we sink all the time and effort into finding sponsorship dollars and contacting the tracks to work out a schedule. If we are only going to have a following of the two of us and 3 or 4 others this isn’t going to be realistic. Looking at the qualifying sheets from the WHP Divisional the past 3 years, between Stock and SS, if we got 100% participation from only the AZ cars, we could have a series of about 40-45 cars. Mind you we know that isn’t necessarily realistic. Even if we shoot for just 50% participation, from AZ, we could have 20-22 cars and have a nice series that may be able to grow in the future.

What we are asking for, at this point, is OPINIONS… don’t just be a Negative Nancy because you aren’t interested. We want to know what the racers would like this series to be… What it would take for you guys to be interested enough to come out and race with us. I think from a “future of our sport” stand point, this will be something that we may be able to get some people exposed to class racing that haven’t been yet. We can get a few people hooked on S/SS that either don’t follow the Lucas circuit or can’t afford to, so they don’t even attempt to put a car together. Not trying to play this off as “The fix to the end of S/SS,” but I think this could only help.

Here is what we have so far as far as rules:

Arizona Stock / Super Stock Association

• Open to all NHRA and IHRA legal cars (Are there any nostalgia classes/cars in the area that would be interested in racing… too young to know what they are)
• All cars must dial at or under their index (NHRA) Tucson to use 1.0281 adjustment factor.
• Heads up runs will be run for pairs of same class cars during Eliminations, there will be weight checks for all these pairs as well as random weight checks when a scale is available.
• There will be no fuel check as we do not have the equipment to enforce this. Must run Gasoline.
• S/SS will be run as one class
• No double entry – You are more than welcome to double enter with any other classes racing at the track that day.
• Points are earned by individual not car
• The ladder will be qualified based on reaction time. We will ladder 1st round.
• There will be two qualifying runs for sure, and time permitting a run for the money or just a 3rd qualifying run.

Membership and Entry info

• Annual Membership - $50 Optional (All membership fees collected will go towards year end point series awards and prizes.)
• All membership fees paid are good until 12-31-XX of the year paid. Membership fees are not prorated for joining later in the year.
• Entry $50 paid at ASSSA booth – This fee is in addition to any gate fee charged by track (100% of entry fees, for the ASSSA portion only, will be paid back in the purse.) Currently hearing $30 for TD and $40 for WHP as the track gate fee.
• Run for the Money - $10 (if we do one.. 100% payback)
• Payouts aren’t finalized yet. What we want to include here for now is that if a round comes down to a non-normal number (normal being 16, 8, 4), we will pay the best loser(s) of the prior round until the correct amount of places has been paid. (ex: round of 8(quarters) has 6 cars; the monies for the other 2 allotted spots would pay the best 2 losers of the round of 16.)
• To be eligible to collect points, you must be a current ASSSA member. You must pay membership monies before you leave the track for the day. Meaning if you run the race as a non-member and decide before you leave you want your points for the day you can still join and keep those points. If you wait until the next race to join you lose all previous rounds won and will start collecting points as of the day you pay.
• Each racer will receive 100 show up points and 100 points will be awarded for each round won.
• Qualifying points will be awarded based on best reaction time in qualifying.
• Qualifying points will be given in inverse order. (ex: There are 16 cars entered, number 1 qualifier will get 16 points, second qualifier will get 15 points all the way down to the last qualifier getting 1 point.)
• Points will be collected at your best 5 out of 6 races.
• Ties will be broken as follows:
o 1. Most wins
o 2. Most Runner Ups
o 3. Most wins head to head
o 4. Point total for all 6 races
o 5. Best Average Qualifying RT over races attended.

Proposed End of season points/prize fund (Dependant on sponsorship and membership monies)

Each prize listed below will be awarded to the driver(s) that are points earning members.

• Best finishing stocker (If you race both a stocker and super stocker throughout the year, your points will be calculated per car for this prize.)
• Best finishing super stocker (If you race both a stocker and super stocker throughout the year, your points will be calculated per car for this prize.)
• Top Tucson Dragway finisher (Most points collected by one racer at Tucson Dragway. This is by driver, not car type. All races at Tucson Dragway count toward this prize.)
• Top Wild Horse Pass finisher (Most points collected by one racer at Wild Horse Pass. This is by driver, not car type. All races at Wild Horse Pass count toward this prize.
• 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place point earners get year-end prize money. Prize money dependent on annual membership and sponsorship money in year-end prize fund. May pay further back as series grows and sponsorship allow.

We are talking about prizes ranging from parts donations, to cash monies, to a free entry to the divisional at WHP and hopefully Tucson Dragway if they are to get one in the future.

There is also talk about keeping track of average ET against your given index in qualifying only, and having the top 4 to 8, depending on participation, running a comp eliminator style race at the season finale for those racers who qualify. Something to keep the interest of this being a performance class not just a bracket race.

I’m sure there are things in here people don’t like. I’m sure there are things we haven’t thought of. I’m also sure that others have ideas that could be very good, and make this very successful. I won’t promise that just because you suggest something, that we will run with it and make it happen, but we are looking for input as to what you guys think is good, bad, or needs to happen to make you want to come race your cars.
Let us hear it. If you are interested in something like this give us a yay, if you think you’ll never participate because it isn’t a Lucas event let us know. We will pursue this strongly if there is genuine interest, say 10 to 12 cars to start, with the inclination that more are considering it. We don’t expect to have 64 car day one… but would love for it to get at least that big in the future!

Last thing I want to add is that if you or someone you know would be interested in sponsoring something like this, we have a few different sponsor package ideas we are working on right now. From a $250 race sponsorship, to about $2000 series sponsorship for year #1. We will also be contacting people about donating product and gift certificates for year-end prizes when/if we deicide the interest is there to move forward. We would love to kick this series off in 2017 and would most likely be looking to follow the schedule that the local ADRA and Super Comp associations are setting. But no dates have been worked on yet.

Thanks everyone and please, we want to do this for the racers involved, we want to make it something you want to participate in so give us your input! PLEASE pass the word to people that don’t look on Classracer. We only have contact info for very few people. Email one of the two emails below, so we can start a contact list of interested parties and keep everyone informed. our PM box is almost full so that probably wont be a very good way to reach us.

-The Hawk Bros
Brad and Matt Hawk

Coachbhawk13@gmail.com
mhawk@email.arizona.edu

Last edited by HawkBrosMav; 04-21-2016 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Changed Heads up pairs in Eliminations rule.
HawkBrosMav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:03 PM   #2
Duster 7695

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Default Re: Attention all az, ca, nv, ut, nm, tx stk/ss racers:

I will join. It sounds like a lot of fun without having to travel a long way.

Raul
Duster 7695 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 11:42 PM   #3
Mike Graham

Liked 310 Times in 61 Posts

We're in. 2 cars. I would think that qualifying off the index would give it more of a stock/superstock feel.
Mike Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 01:35 AM   #4
Don Kennedy
VIP Member

Liked 819 Times in 220 Posts

I like every thing except the qualifying with Reaction Times > not a good idea> The most under the index qualifying is best ,with a ladder
Old 04-21-2016, 02:15 AM   #5
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts

I am interested if you have some races in Texas.

I expect the Texas Motorplex would draw some D 4 S/SS racers
Old 04-21-2016, 06:17 AM   #6
GTX JOHN
VIP Member

Liked 2,108 Times in 603 Posts

We would be interested.

Irving Family Racing
GTX JOHN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:10 AM   #7
Jeremy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I would be interested in Texas and Louisiana races.
Thanks
Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:40 AM   #8
Jack Foshee

Liked 11 Times in 5 Posts

I am in
Jack Foshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:47 AM   #9
BUDDY JENSEN

Liked 37 Times in 8 Posts

Count me in
BUDDY JENSEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 10:12 AM   #10
novassdude

Liked 133 Times in 49 Posts

I would suggest talking with groups like the Midwest Class Racers that have very successful programs going and see how they are doing things.

I would strongly suggest switching to qualifying off the indexes. And heads up races. Those are two of the biggest reasons people run these classes (in my opinion) Otherwise it is strictly a bracket race With really expensive cars.
novassdude is offline   Reply With Quote