HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-13-2016, 06:58 PM   #1
joespanova

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Default Dart Little M sportsman top end oiling issue SBC

Now that I'm using a DART block instead of Gen 1 junk I'm NOT yet getting oil to the rockers during priming or after running for 20-30 seconds. Fresh build , not yet run for any length of time. I did NOT groove lifters BECAUSE I was told by Dart it isn't really ness. on the small blocks , more so on the big blocks.
Comp lifter ( plus .300 ) std full body lifter.
The guy that owns the machine shop I used suggested grooving..........but neither HE nor Dart told me that if I don't it will not oil adequately. Neither dude told me it was essential. I'm done until this crap is figured out and I ain't a happy camper.
Now , unlike before with the old Chevy block and because these lifters won't come out with the GD heads on ........if the solution is grooving the lifters , I have to pull not only the intake but the heads as well.
Yes I'm very pissed , can you tell? I just finished putting this SOB together and may end up pulling half this S#H%IT off!
So , no restrictors in block either...........is it the lifters not grooved delaying oil to rockers? Will they oil before killing the pushrods / rocker cups.? Yes I used assy lube on tips / cups.
Seems to me I recall some guys using Dart blocks with priority main oiling melting pushrods , perhaps because they restricted AND used improperly prepared OR WRONG lifters..........

Anyone?
joespanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:57 PM   #2
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts
Default Re: Dart Little M sportsman top end oiling issue SBC

Takes me longer than 30 seconds of priming a new assembly to get oil out of the rockers. Thought something was wrong first time.
Old 03-13-2016, 09:57 PM   #3
joespanova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Takes me longer than 30 seconds of priming a new assembly to get oil out of the rockers. Thought something was wrong first time.
If it takes long to prime ONCE , it'll always be slow to get up there?
Old 03-13-2016, 10:19 PM   #4
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joespanova View Post
If it takes long to prime ONCE , it'll always be slow to get up there?
Nope. All the oil galleys won't be full of air after initial prime. My rockers oil right away on start ups after primed once.
Old 03-13-2016, 11:39 PM   #5
Mike Semeniuk

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

Sometimes after being machined , washed and dryed, it takes quite a while to get oil to all rockers. Helps if engine is rotated 45-90degrees 8 or more times while priming. That's been my experience anyway ( lifter clearance set)
Old 03-14-2016, 06:22 AM   #6
joespanova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Nope. All the oil galleys won't be full of air after initial prime. My rockers oil right away on start ups after primed once.
So , can I assume everyone ground the small groove in to the lifter bodies?
Old 03-14-2016, 06:37 AM   #7
Alan Nyhus
VIP Member

Liked 772 Times in 231 Posts

As suggested, try rotating the engine 45-90 degrees and prime for a good minute at each rotation. Repeat 8-10 times. Might not hurt to pull the intake, rockers and push rods to verify that oil comes out the top of the lifter. 16 pushrods can hold a lot of air.

Let us know what you find. -Al
Old 03-13-2016, 09:17 PM   #8
carl hinkson

Liked 18 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joespanova View Post
Now that I'm using a DART block instead of Gen 1 junk I'm NOT yet getting oil to the rockers during priming or after running for 20-30 seconds. Fresh build , not yet run for any length of time. I did NOT groove lifters BECAUSE I was told by Dart it isn't really ness. on the small blocks , more so on the big blocks.
Comp lifter ( plus .300 ) std full body lifter.
The guy that owns the machine shop I used suggested grooving..........but neither HE nor Dart told me that if I don't it will not oil adequately. Neither dude told me it was essential. I'm done until this crap is figured out and I ain't a happy camper.
Now , unlike before with the old Chevy block and because these lifters won't come out with the GD heads on ........if the solution is grooving the lifters , I have to pull not only the intake but the heads as well.
Yes I'm very pissed , can you tell? I just finished putting this SOB together and may end up pulling half this S#H%IT off!
So , no restrictors in block either...........is it the lifters not grooved delaying oil to rockers? Will they oil before killing the pushrods / rocker cups.? Yes I used assy lube on tips / cups.
Seems to me I recall some guys using Dart blocks with priority main oiling melting pushrods , perhaps because they restricted AND used improperly prepared OR WRONG lifters..........

Anyone?
Is this a solid roller or HYD roller ??

Which Little-M Dart block do you have?? With billet caps or Nodular iron caps ??

Is this a wet sump application.

Should not run restrictors as the lifters have the oil holes on the side of the lifters if solid lifters and push rods are oiled of the lifter bore clearance.

Whats your lifter bore clearance ?? As that should have been checked before the block went out the door.

If the lifter bore clearance is to tight it will be hard to get oil to the push rods and they may seize up!!! to loose and you have to much oil be pumped up to the top end ....
carl hinkson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:13 AM   #9
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 282 Times in 152 Posts

Standard OEM SBC oiling system sends oil to the camshaft FIRST then to the crankshaft areas ---A Dart block has had the oil passages redesigned to have priority oiling to the crankshaft FIRST then to the cam prevents wiping out rod/main bearing damages-- FED 387

Last edited by FED 387; 03-14-2016 at 01:15 AM. Reason: wrong info
FED 387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:13 AM   #10
joespanova

Quote:
Originally Posted by FED 387 View Post
Standard OEM SBC oiling system sends oil to the camshaft FIRST then to the crankshaft areas ---A Dart block has had the oil passages redesigned to have priority oiling to the crankshaft FIRST then to the cam prevents wiping out rod/main bearing damages-- FED 387
Uh , yeah..........thanks
Anyway.