HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-03-2012, 12:35 AM   #1
Jody Lang

Liked 81 Times in 25 Posts
Default Fuel check question

I have a question.

A bunch of us were having issues with fuel at a Division race in Sonoma. A few I believe were DQd a few on the edge. We were told to add some fresh, replace with fresh all that good stuff.

I bought some fresh fuel right out of a sealed barrel. Took it up and had it tested. I was told it was perfect. I asked what perfect was, and was told that it was right in the middle of the scale for the temperature.

If when a fuel goes stale or loses it's light ends from sitting in the car too long my question is this.

Why does fresh brand new fuel start out at the middle of the scale and not toward or at the top???

If going bad from sitting or you got the last 5 from the bottom of the barrel usually equates to flirting with the bottom of the scale, shouldn't fresh fuel start life at the top of the scale?
Jody Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 674 Times in 122 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Thumbs up Re: Fuel check question

Great point! Can't wait for the answer. Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 06:10 AM   #3
Bob Bender
VIP Member

Liked 373 Times in 80 Posts
Default Re: Fuel check question

When I worked for NHRA in the 80`s I did fuel check. The numbers should run in the middle. Low numbers means fuel is old and losing its octane. High numbers means there is more then just racing fuel in there. I think NHRA should throw out the low numbers, if the fuel is old and bad it does not make the car go faster. They have always tested like that. Hope that helped or Im just full of *****........
Old 07-03-2012, 07:26 AM   #4
Bob Don
VIP Member

Liked 778 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bender View Post
When I worked for NHRA in the 80`s I did fuel check. The numbers should run in the middle. Low numbers means fuel is old and losing its octane. High numbers means there is more then just racing fuel in there. I think NHRA should throw out the low numbers, if the fuel is old and bad it does not make the car go faster. They have always tested like that. Hope that helped or Im just full of *****........
Whether or not that was helpful, you still might be full of *****! Ha ha!
Old 07-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
philip miles

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I went to the PRI show in Orlando and asked the Sunoco technical representitives how long the shelf live is on their racing fuel. They told me 1.5 to 2 years. With that said, I went to a race with fuel that was about 1 year old, it had lost it's color purple. I told the NHRA fuel check person that I was claiming Sunoco purple, well it passed the fuel check, but he told me to add some fresher fuel with color so that he can recognize it by the color. The car ran the same with the older fuel as well as with the fresher fuel.

Casey Miles
248H "F" NHRA Stock!
philip miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
Pistol Pete
VIP Member

Liked 702 Times in 185 Posts

Yeah, but even when you buy " fresh" gas, how long was it sitting in their drum ???

I got a bad reading from Englishtown last year & they said, give me another sample
& the second sample passed.

If no one else believes you Bender, I believe ya.......

Pistol Pete
I/SA
Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

I've had Sunoco sit in a vented fuel cell and in jugs over the winter, go racing and never have a problem in fuel check. It's pretty stable stuff. On the flip side, VP has a high "pop off" rate. The fuel check guy at Atlanta told me the best thing to do would be to drain the fuel cell each week and put the fuel back in a sealed container, or at least plug the fuel cell vent. Seriously?

You know it's volatile stuff when we've generated a habit of holding our hand over the cup while waiting in the fuel check line.

And for those that didn't read the Atlanta thread, beware purchasing any 112 octane blue VP at your local bracket track. It's not on the approved fuels list, and it doesn't check as anything. The southeast VP rep said it is something they formulated that's "close" to Sunoco Blue, but a little different in this spec or that, and they just sell it to the bracket tracks. Why have a readily available fuel and not have it on the list?
Old 07-03-2012, 11:24 AM   #8
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,544 Times in 1,727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Bender View Post

Bob, What end of the scale would $3.00 pump gas read on? Av gas? That could be your answer right there...
Old 07-03-2012, 11:33 AM   #9
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,656 Times in 507 Posts

The problem I have had in the past here in Div 2. When I go to check fuel and its anything besides VP the fuel check guys give me a hard time. They say the color is wrong or something like that. I either run sunoco blue or C-12. I think they just want you to run the VP fuel.
Old 07-03-2012, 01:05 PM   #10
69Cobra

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Ok... two part question here. First is there a tool that the average racer can buy to check his own fuel so that you don't get a surprise from tech? Second, what is the best/most common what to retrieve your fuel for fuel check? Are you guys just opening up the fuel cell and scooping a cup out?
69Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote