Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 12-14-2010, 12:13 PM   #1
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Who's fault are the new cars?

Who's fault are the new cars?
I blame nhra and the racers more than the factories.
For years stock has been massaged more and more away from anything that resembles a street driven car. The rules constantly get further away from real stock. Wheelie bars and superceded custom made parts are allowed, cars that were not made 30 years ago are now legal in stock.
And now the racers are crying because the factories built a better mousetrap.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:30 PM   #2
Chad Rhodes
VIP Member

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Who's fault are the new cars?

I place the blame ultimately on NHRA only. I mean the factories fired a wild *** number out there, and probably expected it to be a starting point for negotiation. NHRA just swallowed it hook line and sinker and the factory has been taking a mile, ever since they were given that first inch.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,121 Times in 295 Posts

It's hard to place the blame anywhere but upper management at NHRA. They are the people who have been selling us out to the highest bidder, they are the ones who will do just about anything for a buck.

Racers are by their very nature going to look for and try to attain every possible advantage. Many of the people who race the new cars are people I consider to be good friends. I do not condone their choice to race the new cars, but I don't blame them, either.

The factories are also looking for the advantages, although I will say refusing to participate unless they are handed dominance on a silver platter, and the rules are changed to allow them free reign is just a sign of how little they care for their customers. But again, NHRA is the guilty party where the rule change is concerned.

Art, I agree completely that Stock has been changed constantly, often due to the things racers have done. But NHRA is the party that allowed it. Racers are going to push the rules, it is the sanctioning body that chooses to allow it or look the other way. And it is NHRA that completely changed the character of Stock Eliminator by rewriting the rules to allow the new cars. Sadly, Super Stock is no different, they've either looked the other way, or made previously illegal parts and labor legal, rather than police the sport.

NHRA has long since abandoned the true sport of drag racing, and has sold out to corporate America. Sadly, in order to fix the problem, NHRA would have to be torn down to the ground and rebuilt from the ground up.
Old 12-14-2010, 12:41 PM   #4
Charley Downing

Liked 625 Times in 86 Posts

What is real stock?

Acid ported heads that are covered up?
Bogus Acid ported intakes?
Aftermarket pistons?
Aftermarket Rods?
Trick valve jobs?
Trick ring combos?
These this have all been around for well over 30 years.

It’s funny all you guys that have $5000 plus cylinder heads and $1000 plus intakes are crying because it not fair. You guys can’t win, new cars are too fast. But these are the same guys that have been flying in the past. These guys are the ones that have been cheating for the past 10 plus years(in the Cylinder head and intake department) . And now the tables have turned and you all don’t like it. That is the real problem with the new cars, the cheaters can’t cheat their way to the top anymore.

Last edited by Charley Downing; 12-14-2010 at 12:44 PM.
Charley Downing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:47 PM   #5
LittleBubba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

well put charliebob!!!
LittleBubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 12:50 PM   #6
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

NHRA, period. The factories can't force NHRA to accept anything (right?) and the racers are playing by the rules set forth by NHRA.
Old 12-14-2010, 01:08 PM   #7
buzzinhalfdozen

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

All you guys keep saying the magic word "Customer" to NHRA you are just that. Myself if I don't like the way I'm being treated as a "Customer" I find some where else to spend my money. It's as simple as that, many of you post as if your entire life has been turned upside down by this if that's the case then I feel for you, drag racing is a HOBBY not life or death. It's hard to believe that someone can be so hateful over something that's supposed to be fun.Maybe we all need to sit back for a while and ask ourselves.... just why do I race? Joe
Old 12-14-2010, 02:07 PM   #8
smracer2002

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzinhalfdozen View Post
All you guys keep saying the magic word "Customer" to NHRA you are just that. Myself if I don't like the way I'm being treated as a "Customer" I find some where else to spend my money. It's as simple as that, many of you post as if your entire life has been turned upside down by this if that's the case then I feel for you, drag racing is a HOBBY not life or death. It's hard to believe that someone can be so hateful over something that's supposed to be fun.Maybe we all need to sit back for a while and ask ourselves.... just why do I race? Joe

I believe the proper term is "member" but we are treated as "customers".

That is one of the differences between NHRA and other sanctioning bodies.
We sure get treated different in SCCA and NASA and we have memberships
there also.

I have no dog in the class racing hunt but have helped out on plenty of
Stock and S/S cars over the years.I would hate to see the car count get
worse and not because of the economy.

I agree with buzzins post.

And it IS Teutons fault.
smracer2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:57 PM   #9
chlngr73

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beard View Post
NHRA, period. The factories can't force NHRA to accept anything (right?) and the racers are playing by the rules set forth by NHRA.
Well put Michael, that post should have said "PERIOD" at the end and it would have been perfect. Don't fault the racers.

David Buckner DP#98
chlngr73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:12 PM   #10
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Downing View Post
What is real stock?

Acid ported heads that are covered up?
Bogus Acid ported intakes?
Aftermarket pistons?
Aftermarket Rods?
Trick valve jobs?
Trick ring combos?
These this have all been around for well over 30 years.

It’s funny all you guys that have $5000 plus cylinder heads and $1000 plus intakes are crying because it not fair. You guys can’t win, new cars are too fast. But these are the same guys that have been flying in the past. These guys are the ones that have been cheating for the past 10 plus years(in the Cylinder head and intake department) . And now the tables have turned and you all don’t like it. That is the real problem with the new cars, the cheaters can’t cheat their way to the top anymore.
This has been my point. If you port a cylinder head and intake manifold, pair this with trick exhaust headers. And ultra high ramp rate cams. You increase air flow. If you put a turbo on the motor and adjust the boost higher you increase air flow. I was chastised on here for the unfairness of using more boost than the factory specs. While my heads, intake, cams, valve springs, lifters, and exhaust system was bone stock.