HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-10-2010, 05:16 PM   #1
Ronnie Smith Jr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Reunited

How many of you have kept your first race car and have it to this day, racing or not? How many of you beat yourself up over selling your first race car and wish you could have it back? Well, I fall into the second category and have been reunited with my first race car after selling it over 21 years ago.

Many of you may remember our 66 Chevy II we ran in IHRA Pure Stock and Stock from 1980 through the mid 1980's. We sold it in 1988 and it went to a good home in eastern KY. We asked that if they ever decided to sell to please give us first right of refusal. The gentleman passed away several years ago and it sat in their barn for the last 11 years. Over the course of the last several years, Dad and I have dreamed about buying the car back. The widow, true to her word, tracked Dad down and offered the car back to us. Needless to say we jumped at the offer. On Monday, we drove to Dad's, picked him up and headed for KY. After spending a few hours there, we loaded up 2 additional motors, powerglide and many other parts and were enroute back to Dad's. We unloaded all the parts and the car into Dad's garage and then headed back home in hopes of beating the storm (which we didn't).

It is an original Super Sport car, 283, 2barrel, powerglide, 10 bolt rear. The rearend is long gone but we received the original block, heads and I believe the intake when we bought the car back. I checked the date code on the block (Oct 1965) and the heads (Jan 1966). I would like any information on how to locate the date code for the intake. The 12 bolt is an original Chevy II rearend that we took out from under a donor car in 1979 when we built the Chevy II for racing.

The car is in dire need of a complete restoration for any future use. With that being said, do I set it up for;
1) stock eliminator (327 full out),
2) freshen it up (283) and teach the kids bracket racing, or
3) street it with an L-79 and enjoy (already have the intake and carb).

I am leaning towards streeting it and having the kids learn a little about building a car. While I make a decision, I will likely need parts to restore it either way. This is going to take a long time to do. I would like to be able to talk to several of you who are Chevy II owners so I may reacquaint myself to the body line. Don't hesitate to reply here or PM me.

I urge you to share your stories about your first race car. Please post!

Below are a couple of pics from the 80's and Monday. Picture on the left is circa 1982 at Rockingham and the picture on the right is loading it into Dad's garage on Monday. Enjoy.

Ronnie, Jr.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Chevy II.jpg
Views:	549
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	2387   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3357.JPG
Views:	638
Size:	179.7 KB
ID:	2388  

Last edited by Ronnie Smith Jr; 02-10-2010 at 06:55 PM. Reason: Added info about the pictures
Ronnie Smith Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:14 PM   #2
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts
Default Re: Reunited

Got back second race car a few years ago I sold it in 91was my first stocker 80 malibu ran V/S W/229 chevy V-6 ,3 speed stick hope maybe get back out this year,have my3rd car 79 malibu F/PS.My collection is missing only my first race car /street car first drove to high school ended up being race car later. Was going to make stocker then Billy Meyer did away with classes NHRA was'nt option back then cut it up set engine back 10'' alum. int. lexan narrowed rear wished I didn't after. So then decided make to G/A IHRA did away with Modified,so then lost interest and sold it couldn't put class letters on window I don't need it. My very first car is also missing I miss it the most when I was 16 had 66 chevy II post had 70 LT 1 350/360 wrecked it when I was 17 and half years old,in 1984 it wasn't worth fixing.I parted out then crushed rest (roof,firewall floor pan) now cars way worse get fixed.
Where in KY. and who had you alls chevyII,is your Dad the Ronnie Smith had SS/K 66chevyII post in about 89 was like a turquoise'ish baby blueish and white paint scheme had color split kinda 4 squares over the whole car had bench seat notched for seat?
Mike Taylor 3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:32 PM   #3
Robert Swartz

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

Ronnie,

If I had a vote. I'd say restore it and enjoy the car. From the looks of it, your car appears as I wish mine had stayed before I decided to cut it. That was in 1979 and "hey", there were still quite a few 66-67 Chevy II's still around.

There's a place in Louisville, Kentucky, actually south of there, Chevy II's Only (502) 239-8487. they've got almost anything you need for these cars. They also get used oddball stuff from time to time.
95 Achieva EF/SA, 78 Mustang II U/SA (work in progress) #354 stock
Robert Swartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:39 PM   #4
Ed Carpenter
Live Reporter

Liked 509 Times in 128 Posts

Ronnie how about a SS 327 stick car!!!! Way cool trust me. Ed

I know Bill Zaskowski sold his Chevy II a number of years ago and got it back. He runs it with a 283 in GT/J now.
Ed Carpenter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
Ronnie Smith Jr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi Mike,

We picked up the car in Morehead, KY from the Martin family. We sold it to them in 1988. Cool story for you too. Yes that is my Dad and that was his Chevy II post car. Dad bought his Chevy II from Scott Wilcox. He sold it to Rick Young.

Ronnie, Jr.

Last edited by Ronnie Smith Jr; 02-10-2010 at 08:23 PM.
Ronnie Smith Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
Bob Gullett
VIP Member

Liked 417 Times in 94 Posts

I still am running my Nova I bought in 1979 as a 6 cylinder powerglide car. Started out as a 350 bracket car. In 1985 turned it into a stocker after going to the 85 Worldfinals. I was hooked.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:33 AM   #7
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

Ronnie,
I met your Dad at Clay City about 88-89 when he had the blue and white chevy II looked at and talked a little while loved that car The Chevy II I wanted for a long time was the ex Joe Hoffer 66 red &white wagon Randy Centers had it for awhile.
My old 69 nova is for sale and 30 miles from my shop but even though my wife and cruised in it when we were dating we don't need it back.
Mike Taylor3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 07:49 AM   #8

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Sold my first race car in 1983 after racing it for 10 years. Don Keen and his Dad Al bought the 68 Fastback from me and a couple years later, won the NHRA World Championship in Stock with it. They still own it today, fond memories.
7423 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 08:46 AM   #9
danny waters sr
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Reunited

I hope you and your dad and kids have as much fun now as you did back then. Enjoy and take a lot of pictures. Your dad talked about that car a many a day. Have Fun with it.
Old 02-11-2010, 09:15 AM   #10
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,699 Times in 519 Posts

Hi Ronnie,

I am still running my 68 camaro. Since 1976. I was 18 at the time. Now 51. I just ran 6.27 last weekend at immokalee.