HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-04-2008, 02:35 PM   #1
astikhossw

Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts
Talking water pump drive vs electric pump

does a electric water pump cool the engine better(meaning maintain a lower water temp.longer)than a water pump drive set up.
astikhossw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2008, 10:55 PM   #2
Dragsinger
VIP Member

Liked 99 Times in 60 Posts
Default Re: water pump drive vs electric pump

To me, the answer is yes, the electric is better. My reason being you have much more control with the electric pump. Example, you are finished the burnout and easing into the staging beams when the starter realizes the pair before you has not cleared the track. Because of a spill, you have to wait 10 minutes before running. With the electric pump you can easily bring the engine back to per-burnout temp. If you had an engine driven pump, you would not have that option.

By using an electric water pump with an electric fan and having separate switches for each, you can put the engine temp at the same place each run. Of course, consistent engine temp is one more tool toward a consistent running car.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:54 PM   #3
Tim H
VIP Member

Liked 435 Times in 146 Posts

I took that question to mean an electric water pump versus an electrically driven pump (like the Moroso kits with the little cogged belt that drives an OE style water pump ). I am presently shopping for an electric pump and the specs (flow and amp draw) differ tremendously from brand to brand.
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:58 PM   #4
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim H View Post
I am presently shopping for an electric pump and the specs (flow and amp draw) differ tremendously from brand to brand.

One more thing to check is different flow rated pumps for the same application from the same manufactuer.

Example
chevrolet lt1 and I think there others
Meziere WP118 32 Gal per hour
Meziere Wp118HD 55 Gal per hour

Both of these pumps fit the same application and the price is only about 25 dollars higher for the 55 gal. I had the 32 but after about 6 years it started to have a strange sound to it so I replaced it with the 55 model. After a run I can have the car back to below 120 degrees in about 10 minutes or less where it used to take a bit longer with the 32 and was almost impossible to get it cooled down in time for the next round with a engine driven pump since there was no way to circulate water without the engine running.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
astikhossw

Liked 19 Times in 8 Posts
Cool Re: water pump drive vs electric pump

Tim that is what i mean,a electric drive system vs a electric water pump.And does it cool better with the electric pump than the electric drive system.With my electric drive system after a run i am at about 220 f and i guess it takes about 15 are so minutes to cool back down to 140 f.
astikhossw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2008, 11:11 AM   #6
greg fulk
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts

220 wow! I have a high flow alum with an electric drive & it almost never gets above 160. But I have a 3 core rad too.