HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-24-2008, 10:15 AM   #1
racin jason3412

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default HANS Devices

Does anyone in central OH currently use a HANS device? Thinking about getting one this winter and would like to look, touch, try on before spending the $700. Any opionions or comments are appreciated.
racin jason3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 03:08 PM   #2
Mark Schmidt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: HANS Devices

Jason,

Jeff Beckman wears one in both cars.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:25 PM   #3
Jeff Beckman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jeff Beckman

Jason, they make a new model that lets you rotate your head 180 degrees. Its heavier than mine. I bought one when they first came out (at my wifes insistance) mine is carbon fiber. Anyway I can see as well as I need to, they take a minute to put on and you have to get use to how it feels. Your more than welcome to try mine (all of you are).

Best of Luck, Jeff
Old 09-25-2008, 04:41 PM   #4
racin jason3412

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jeff,

I would like to meet up with you sometime in the next few months so I could take a look at it and try it on. Are you going to be racing anywhere around here before seasons end? Send me a private message, I would be more than happy to meet you anywhere. Thanks

Jason
racin jason3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2008, 07:04 PM   #5
Nitro Joe Jackson
VIP Member

Location: Loudonville, Ohio or where ever the Nitro Lounge is parked
Liked 67 Times in 19 Posts

Jason, Tommy Johnson Sr sell a real nice one that would work great in super classes.
Johnny D uses it also.
Old 09-26-2008, 02:00 PM   #6
John DiBartolomeo

Liked 1,283 Times in 159 Posts

I use the R3 device that stays in the car. Very easy to put on and hooks to the seat belts and the helmet. The sliding tethers allow you to adjust how far you want to turn your head. Safety Solutions - Trevor Ashline (800) 731-4404 Tell him I told you to call. One thing he clued me onto is seat belt mounting. Probably 95% of cars don't have the seat belts mounted right, dragsters or door cars. Having them right can make all the difference in comfort especially when it comes to using a head and neck restraint. -John DiBartolomeo
John DiBartolomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2008, 03:47 PM   #7
1855sc

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

John,

Do you have the R3 in the Quay car?
If so, can I check the way you have it mounted when we are at Atco.

Thanks,

Debbie Moses
1855sc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:50 AM   #8
John DiBartolomeo

Liked 1,283 Times in 159 Posts

No you cannot check the way I have it mounted in the car at Atco! .....cause I'm not going to be there! Sorry. But it does stay in the car and gets hooked to the seat belts by way of two straps which hook around your chest. It's then is hooked to the helmet with quick-disconnects. Those helmet tethers are adjustable to limit just how much head-turning movement you'd prefer. I can turn my head probably not 180-degrees but close to it. I've got photos if you send me an e-mail at johnd@dragracingaction.com.
John DiBartolomeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 04:25 PM   #9
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 717 Times in 209 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John DiBartolomeo View Post
I use the R3 device that stays in the car. Very easy to put on and hooks to the seat belts and the helmet. The sliding tethers allow you to adjust how far you want to turn your head. Safety Solutions - Trevor Ashline (800) 731-4404 Tell him I told you to call. One thing he clued me onto is seat belt mounting. Probably 95% of cars don't have the seat belts mounted right, dragsters or door cars. Having them right can make all the difference in comfort especially when it comes to using a head and neck restraint. -John DiBartolomeo
John, the $700 price range of this unit is appealing,as is the availability of the in seat unit. .... How easy is it to hook to the helmet when you get in the car? ...Will you need help or can it be done easily by the driver? ........Sounds like this would be a good topic for a tech article in the magizine in the future. ......Tom
Old 09-29-2008, 05:52 PM   #10
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield

I've had some type of device on my list for the 2009 season. I was looking at either the HANS Sports Series, which I think is $495, or the Hutchens Device. Personally, I never liked the idea of having that big cumbersome thing of the HANS sticking off my shoulders as it will definitely make it more difficult to get in and out of the car (I'm thinking especially in the case of fire). But, a properly adjusted Hutchens Device only gives about +/- 20° of rotation. So, that's not ideal either.

The in-seat R3 Rage definitely sounds like something to investigate...