HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-11-2010, 04:08 PM   #1
Floyd Staggs
VIP Member

Liked 220 Times in 95 Posts
Default Alcohol dragster?

What happened to Mark Niver? My audiocast was down till it was over.
Old 07-11-2010, 04:23 PM   #2
Mack Reeves

Liked 44 Times in 13 Posts
Default Re: Alcohol dragster?

I'm on espn3.com and they had one go into the sandtraps when chute failed to open... It folded the front wheels around the driver compartment.. Not much being said and not sure who this is.. But still down and not sure what is happening.....
Old 07-11-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
Floyd Staggs
VIP Member

The announcer said they would be down about 20 minutes and that was over a half hour ago.
Old 07-11-2010, 05:57 PM   #4
Floyd Staggs
VIP Member

There is a post on Yellow Bullet that said he expired.
God speed, Mark. RIP!
Old 07-11-2010, 06:31 PM   #5
AC

Liked 64 Times in 22 Posts

competition plus is saying law enforcement has stopped the show

http://www.competitionplus.com/index...ace-in-seattle
AC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:33 PM   #6
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

WTF is going on with all these cars losing/malfunctioning parachutes.They're killing thes poor guys and there's no improvements in sight with a comparatively unchanged system.
NHRA better get their head out of their ***** before we lose anyone else and also the fact that the liability insurance increases will be paid by you know who.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 06:38 PM   #7
AC

Liked 64 Times in 22 Posts

personally i think the dragsters and funny cars should have tubs in them like Formula One and the drag boats. F1 cars have hit walls at 11+g's and they walk away. Build a tub around the driver to protect them.That car rolled up like a snail or a hose, i knew when i saw it that it could not be good.

I think they also need a third emergency chute, who cares about aerodynamics.

God speed, word on the other forums is the driver did not make it.
AC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 01:40 PM   #8
voltdr

Liked 92 Times in 49 Posts

This was truly a sad sad day for the Niver family and all of us also. However I don't believe NHRA is at fault here. Let's remember how our tech inspection goes. All classes not just the pros. Has anyone ever had to remove interior panels, raise your car up on jack stands, or had to disassemble something on your car so a tech inspector could look at it for safety? We have all had some of these thing happen but could you imagine the uproar from the racers if you had to do this before every race or if you had to through tech again after you pulled your trans and converter changed a fuel pump or carb. Does NHRA need to check that you know how to put your car back together. Everyone would be screaming at NHRA for looking over their shoulder too much. The mounting bracket broke on Nivers car. Period. Do you take your car apart after every race and check all the welds. I know I don't. We should check more but we all assume that if it was OK at the last race it is OK now. We all know people that only take their cars out of the trailers when they are at the track, how safe is that? Do we need NHRA to verify that our cars have been inspected prior to tech? Are we now going to have to have SFI parachute mounting brackets. I can the hear the protesting now. I wonder how many people have actually pulled their chute and then know how to repack it. I used to pull my chute at least once at every event I went to. I have even stopped that. I will start doing it again. We can go on and on and on about this..... This was a tragic accident and I'm sure there will be some trickle-down changes that we will see from this. All of our safety equipment can be traced back to someone's bad day at the track. Let's just all resolve to check our equipment more and get back to racing instead of engineering things we don't have a clue about.
Sorry for the long post.
Dan Foley
voltdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #9
novassdude

Liked 133 Times in 49 Posts

How hard would it be to have a secondary safety cable that would go thru the chute attachment points in case the main mount fails? It would add a couple of pounds but I think it would be very well worth it. sort of like the wheel retention on Indy cars.
novassdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 06:15 PM   #10
Jason

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by novassdude View Post
How hard would it be to have a secondary safety cable that would go thru the chute attachment points in case the main mount fails? It would add a couple of pounds but I think it would be very well worth it. sort of like the wheel retention on Indy cars.
Now there's an idea that merits looking at! Maybe someone will design one for their car and show it off to the rest of the racing world.

BTW, if your car is required a parachute, when was the last time you actually looked at the mounting point on your own car? I'm talking about a close inspection looking for cracks in welds or metal. There is a lot of strain put on that important section each time the parachute is used.
Jason is offline   Reply With Quote