Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-10-2009, 01:28 PM   #1
R&S Motorsports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile At least someone still cares...

Just got this e-mailed to me from IHRA: THANKS

To: All IHRA Sportsman Racers

Dear Members:

Since the recent announcement of NHRA raising fees, my phone and e-mail have been going crazy. Evidentially the "internet experts" that populate the message boards have suggested that IHRA will be following suit with price increases to sportsman racers. This is based on the assumption that IHRA does everything NHRA does.

Any sportsman racer who has actually done a burnout at an IHRA event knows we have our own ideas and philosophies on how sportsman racing is to be conducted. This is not a knock on NHRA, it is simply a realization that we handle sportsman racing differently. As an IHRA member you know that, and I would assume you are a member because you enjoy the opportunities and programs IHRA offers sportsman racers. Unfortunately, this bad information is put out by sportsmen who don't actually race with us on a national or divisional level. Normally, we wouldn't even respond to such nonsense, but these are not normal times. Everyone is sensitive to the economic environment right now so I wanted you to hear this from the source.

We are not....have no plans to....and have not even discussed raising fees to sportsman racers. We are in the same position as the rest of the world when it comes to the need to increase the bottom line, but we have been able to reduce spending internally rather than going to the customer to create additional cash flow. In fact, we have been talking a lot about how to reduce costs for racers and spectators, create more value and develop our entertainment offering for both racers and fans. We just finished a national event in Baton Rouge where we added a dash for cash program for the competitors as well as cooked 4,000lbs of crawfish for the racer party. The Spring Nationals at Rockingham in a few weeks just had the dash for cash racing programs added, a sportsman wheelie contest and we booked a southern rock band for a Saturday night racer party. We are trying to give you more for your racing dollar and create ways for you to compete on the pro am and national level without spending your way into financial ruin.

The IHRA staff members have been working on a variety of different ways to reduce costs in their areas of responsibility and have done a great job so far. We have had to make tough decisions to not take as many staff to events. Everyone is pulling double duty somewhere, we're negotiating better deals with suppliers and travel arrangements are tighter than ever. The bottom line is that we certainly need your support at Summit Pro Am and Nitro Jam Nationals events, but we are not going to put extra financial burden on those that continue to compete on these levels.

IHRA will continue to work on adding programs that create value for you. The double Summit Pro Am weekends, the Champion Systems Sportsman Nationals events and the Tournament Of Champions Sportsman World Championship program are just a few ways we've been able to accomplish these goals.

I hope that puts your mind at ease. We look forward to seeing you at an IHRA event this year....and let's have some fun!

Best Regards,

Skooter Peaco

Vice President

IHRA
R&S Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009, 08:57 PM   #2
SG1809

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: At least someone still cares...

Quote:
Originally Posted by R&S Motorsports View Post
Just got this e-mailed to me from IHRA: THANKS

To: All IHRA Sportsman Racers

Dear Members:

Since the recent announcement of NHRA raising fees, my phone and e-mail have been going crazy. Evidentially the "internet experts" that populate the message boards have suggested that IHRA will be following suit with price increases to sportsman racers. This is based on the assumption that IHRA does everything NHRA does.

Any sportsman racer who has actually done a burnout at an IHRA event knows we have our own ideas and philosophies on how sportsman racing is to be conducted. This is not a knock on NHRA, it is simply a realization that we handle sportsman racing differently. As an IHRA member you know that, and I would assume you are a member because you enjoy the opportunities and programs IHRA offers sportsman racers. Unfortunately, this bad information is put out by sportsmen who don't actually race with us on a national or divisional level. Normally, we wouldn't even respond to such nonsense, but these are not normal times. Everyone is sensitive to the economic environment right now so I wanted you to hear this from the source.

We are not....have no plans to....and have not even discussed raising fees to sportsman racers. We are in the same position as the rest of the world when it comes to the need to increase the bottom line, but we have been able to reduce spending internally rather than going to the customer to create additional cash flow. In fact, we have been talking a lot about how to reduce costs for racers and spectators, create more value and develop our entertainment offering for both racers and fans. We just finished a national event in Baton Rouge where we added a dash for cash program for the competitors as well as cooked 4,000lbs of crawfish for the racer party. The Spring Nationals at Rockingham in a few weeks just had the dash for cash racing programs added, a sportsman wheelie contest and we booked a southern rock band for a Saturday night racer party. We are trying to give you more for your racing dollar and create ways for you to compete on the pro am and national level without spending your way into financial ruin.

The IHRA staff members have been working on a variety of different ways to reduce costs in their areas of responsibility and have done a great job so far. We have had to make tough decisions to not take as many staff to events. Everyone is pulling double duty somewhere, we're negotiating better deals with suppliers and travel arrangements are tighter than ever. The bottom line is that we certainly need your support at Summit Pro Am and Nitro Jam Nationals events, but we are not going to put extra financial burden on those that continue to compete on these levels.

IHRA will continue to work on adding programs that create value for you. The double Summit Pro Am weekends, the Champion Systems Sportsman Nationals events and the Tournament Of Champions Sportsman World Championship program are just a few ways we've been able to accomplish these goals.

I hope that puts your mind at ease. We look forward to seeing you at an IHRA event this year....and let's have some fun!

Best Regards,

Skooter Peaco

Vice President

IHRA
What a Class Act!, I wish we had more IHRA tracks closer to us.

Pat I.
SG1809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 06:45 AM   #3
frank v

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: At least someone still cares...

me too
Old 04-11-2009, 06:54 AM   #4
Bryan Gillespie
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I will attend MIR race 4/17 thru 4/19/09 always a racer friendly race.
Bryan Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 07:32 AM   #5
SG1809

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan Gillespie View Post
I will attend MIR race 4/17 thru 4/19/09 always a racer friendly race.

I agree Bryan, I ran it once and they treated us great. Even my wife commented how nice things were done. I was so impressed that I wrote and thanked them and they were nice enough to include my note in their magazine.

I might be doing the same.

Pat I.
SG1809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2009, 12:17 PM   #6
sc1153

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to sc1153

If the races were closer i would attend also.....maybe if the contingency companies backed out of NHRA and went to IHRA we would have a good orginization to race at

LETS BE HONEST...if it wasnt for NHRA's Contingency Program (that is dwindling away) we would not be racing it!
sc1153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
Kevin McDowell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

IHRA has always been racer friendly, sad thing for me is having to travel a long ways to race with them. The late 90's was great in our area, with about 4-5 points races within 2-6 hours driving time of our shop. Now with the exception of 1 race, its about 6+ hours travel time to compete.

Last edited by Kevin McDowell; 04-12-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Kevin McDowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
Dice

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

a few years ago mr polburn was announcing the pro session at martin mi. as hot rod was coming out he announced to the fans that now was a great time to head to the pits to grab a hot dog and see the pro cars up close. kinda soured me at the time but it is what it is.
Dice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 06:50 AM   #9
Mark Schmidt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I still believe it would be good to remove the sportsmen from NHRA national events (sorry Wally). They're not exactly committed to the sportsman program anyway. I would much rather race at Divisionals that were free admission on Saturday with something for the fans on Saturday night. Why is it Pinks All Out sells out? They created their own nitch and NHRA still doesn't get it. Check the TV ratings, who has the higher...Pinks or NHRA today.

Bruton Smith has made similar comments. Just my .02 cents.