HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-30-2014, 10:02 AM   #1
TurboBuick6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Suspension Springs

Hi all!

I am Matt with PAC Racing, some of you may know me or have talked to me. I am looking for some feedback/help from you guys. I have thrown around the idea of doing drag springs for stock, super stock and anyone who races a class that needs an OE style spring.

My question is, is there a need for us to start doing stock style suspension springs? Is there already a great line out there that does not need improving? If there is not, what needs to be done? Any help ideas would be great!

Thanks!
TurboBuick6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:28 PM   #2
Jim Kaekel
VIP Member

Liked 498 Times in 104 Posts
Default Re: Suspension Springs

Matt: A lot of guys are using Moroso "Trick" Springs. Just take a look at their catalog and you'll see a listing. Question for you, why did PAC "supercede" the PAC1409 beehive? I used the PAC1409 with great success and you guys replaced it with the PAC1409X, which has a significant amount more seat pressure. Thank you.
Old 05-30-2014, 03:46 PM   #3
TimKGillespie

Liked 34 Times in 8 Posts

And invariably the ride height with the Moroso springs isn't right, so you have to cut them...and then they don't fit the pockets correctly...unless you cut a full coil at a time...

Yes Matt...there is room in the marketplace for an affordable series of springs to fit most popular applications. The Moroso line is a good place to start...

PM me if you want to discuss further...
TimKGillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 03:48 PM   #4
TurboBuick6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

We decided to go with the "X" only series due to its additional processing over the standard 1409. The loads should only be 15lbs more. In all honesty, most people like the extra 15lbs. Are you having issues with the extra load? If we have enough people complain we may do a low load version that would bring it back to 150 @ 1.800".

Thanks,
Old 05-30-2014, 04:18 PM   #5
Jim Kaekel
VIP Member

Liked 498 Times in 104 Posts

I know what they are advertised as, but It's more like 20-25 lbs. more in actuality. I called and talked to Jason from your company about this in early April. Please bring back the original PAC1409. Thank you.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:52 PM   #6
TurboBuick6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Tim,

This is the info I am after. It seems Moroso's "trick" spring is the go to spring. At the same time I hear so much negative feedback. We are searching for a product line that works the way it is supposed right out of the box. Now you did mention affordable. What is that? Our stuff would range in the 70-100 range more than likely. That is per spring too.

Thanks,
Old 05-30-2014, 04:54 PM   #7
TurboBuick6

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jim,

I will have some discussions here and see what we can do to help you out.

Thanks,
Old 05-30-2014, 05:16 PM   #8
TimKGillespie

Liked 34 Times in 8 Posts

Matt,

I can't speak for anyone other than myself...but I would gladly pay $70-100 per spring for something that works the first time.

Tim
TimKGillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 05:28 PM   #9
Michael Compton

Liked 59 Times in 12 Posts

Matt -

I currently have the Santhuff front springs on my stock suspension 1992 Camaro I run in SS/BS. As Tim said, the Moroso springs are difficult and usually need to be removed at least once to cut off a coil or trim. The Santhuff springs are the total opposite. Install and they are ready to go. I would say if you can make something similar to the Santhuff that do not require almost killing yourself to get the springs in, you will do very well.

BTW, your valve springs on our modified motors are amazing. Keep up the good work.

Michael Compton
5016 SS/BS
Michael Compton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 06:02 PM   #10
Don Fardie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I’m actually in the process of switching out springs and I totally agree with the Moroso needing to be cut to get a correct ride height, but don’t agree with the Santuff being a onetime fit. They use a smaller dia coil than the Mororso and they definitely have more stored energy, but using them on an early Nova really takes some finessing. Because the coil wind is so much looser, it makes them taller and in my case it had a tendency to bow under load. I know the early Nova/ Mustang is not the best bench mark to go by because of their set up, but it sure would be nice to have something in the middle at that price. Not a whole lot of options out there to choose from…..