HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-25-2012, 10:44 AM   #1
Larry Curtis

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts
Default NHRA competition license physical?

What is the upper limit for blood pressure on the NHRA physical?
Thank you,
Larry
Larry Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #2
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,770 Times in 868 Posts
Default Re: NHRA competition license physical?

The doctor isn't going to sign your physical if your BP is not under control. They would have liability if they sent you into competition with high BP and you had a black out, stroke, etc it would be their issue. As an old medic I'd say anything over 150/100 is definitely NOT under control. All that said it would be interesting to see if others got signed off by their doctor and denied by NHRA.
jmcarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #3
63corvette

Liked 299 Times in 91 Posts

It depends on your Dr. and his comments.
I was held up by my Dr. some years ago until I took medication to control my blood pressure.
I took meds for a couple of weeks and kept a log on the blood pressure both morning and night. The blood pressure came down some and then the Dr. signed and recommended the license.
It also depends on your age.
NHRA has never questioned the blood pressure but my Dr. did when it was 148/88 and I was about 50 years old at the time.
I just renewed my license this month and received it back from NHRA no questions asked.
My blood pressure this physical and sent to NHRA was 134/78 and I have been on meds for the blood pressure since that time when the Dr. would not sign for approval. I will always think had I not been at the Dr. for a physical for the racing license I might have had a bad experience with my health as I had no idea what my blood pressure was until that physical appointment. I now take a complete physical every year in January.
Racing might have saved my life or that is what I tell the wife all the time anyway....
Just My Experience
Rick Cates
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 04:50 PM   #4
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,656 Times in 507 Posts

I was told 160/100 was the max on BP. Of Course if yours is higher than that you need to have medication to bring it down. The meds dont always bring it down real fast so start as soon as possible. I had the same problem several years ago. Mine was 160/110. I had to get the bottom number under 100 to get my license.
Old 01-25-2012, 07:33 PM   #5
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 220 Times in 79 Posts

I had to goto a new doctor to get my DOT and NHRA physical renewed at the first of this year because my old doctor who I had been going to for years retired. She failed me because I have a little white coat syndrome going on and my BP was a little high (14?/9?) when the nurse was checking me in and taking my vitals. A few min later she came in and checked it and it was fine (118/76) and then checked it a couple more times during the exam and it was fine. Even though every time she checked it was fine she still made me have a EKG or she would not sign off on either one.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
KRatcliff

Liked 502 Times in 135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Petrie E395 View Post
She failed me because I have a little white coat syndrome going on and my BP was a little high (14?/9?) when the nurse was checking me in and taking my vitals......
Can you expand on the hottie nurse in the little white coat that jacked up your blood pressure?
KRatcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 11:15 PM   #7
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Larry

Stop procrastenating and get your blood pressure under control before you have a stroke and can't walk or talk or ever race again.
Go to Doctor, listen to him and follow his advice but don't ignore or minimze the risk to your health!

man up and get it fixed before it's too late.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:05 AM   #8
Larry Curtis

Liked 9 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Baer View Post
Larry

Stop procrastenating and get your blood pressure under control before you have a stroke and can't walk or talk or ever race again.
Go to Doctor, listen to him and follow his advice but don't ignore or minimze the risk to your health!

man up and get it fixed before it's too late.
Bill,
Thank you for the advice, sincerly. My blood pressure at home is 128 over 78 but in the doctors office it is ussually 140 over 90. My doctor and I have been monitoring it for 9 months now and I tried a BP med but was saverly allergic to it. My doc is not concerned with my current readings, but he does see me every 3 months for a check up. He does not do the nhra physical and I am concerned that white coat syndrom my cause me to fail.
Larry
Larry Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #9
Eric Merryfield

Liked 471 Times in 114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Curtis View Post
Bill,
Thank you for the advice, sincerly. My blood pressure at home is 128 over 78 but in the doctors office it is ussually 140 over 90. My doctor and I have been monitoring it for 9 months now and I tried a BP med but was saverly allergic to it. My doc is not concerned with my current readings, but he does see me every 3 months for a check up. He does not do the nhra physical and I am concerned that white coat syndrom my cause me to fail.
Larry
I feel your pain Larry. Trips to the doctor are always stressful when you need a sign off.
Along with the other posters, keep yourself safe! Don't think you need it for stock and superstock up to J I believe. I got the physical and when I started playing with the DP, every two years, just like the #$#@$@$@# Belts!

Eric
Old 01-26-2012, 11:21 AM   #10
CycloneFE

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Curtis View Post
Bill,
Larry
Larry,

If you have "white coat", ask your doctor to copy or record your readings. Take them to the physical and if you have a monitor you use at home bring it also. Hopefully the doctor will be understanding in your collection of information.
I agree with all of this because I thought I was OK until I had 220/120. I had NO symptoms and my doc slammed me in intensive care. Meds and now I am 120/80 all the time, even when they check in the docs office. You will feel better, I didn't know I felt bad.