HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-19-2024, 05:18 PM   #21
Mike Merk

Liked 62 Times in 17 Posts
Default Re: Brake Pressure Switch for launch control ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post
The problem with that on a reverse pattern is the shifter or lever is moving toward the switch as you upshift. The switch would also be in the way going back to N-R-P

I've made switches like that on other cars but the shift pattern was forward.

I'm sure it can be done but it takes some thought and fabrication

The built in neutral start switch posted above is a good solution
With the switches I posted a picture of, I was thinking of mounting it between the pan & shifter lever, letting the inside face of the arm touch the roller on the switch lever. In this arrangement, it would only contact in low gear & wouldn't affect the lever's range of motion either direction.

I just have a push button on the back of my Cheetah shifter & the shifter contacts it in low gear (forward pattern), activating the brake pressure switch.
Old Yesterday, 09:46 AM   #22
JP1738

Liked 434 Times in 135 Posts

Slightly off topic here, but is it legal to use a momentary switch that's not mounted directly to the brake pedal that you hit with your foot? Like a WOT switch on the back side of the pedal that makes contact when the pedal is depressed a certain amount? I could go through the rule book and check myself but I'm lazy and I don't want to. TIA
#2827 N/SA 1980 Malibu SW 2S 305/180
#2827 S/ST 1978 Mazda RX7 w/ 383 sbc/glide
JP1738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:30 AM   #23
Doug Hoven

Liked 753 Times in 146 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP1738 View Post
Slightly off topic here, but is it legal to use a momentary switch that's not mounted directly to the brake pedal that you hit with your foot? Like a WOT switch on the back side of the pedal that makes contact when the pedal is depressed a certain amount? I could go through the rule book and check myself but I'm lazy and I don't want to. TIA
I believe something like that would be legal. That?s how a lot of clutch guys activate the 2 step, with a momentary switch, sometimes mounted to the pedal, other times activated by the Z bar, or back of the pedal. What I don?t think is legal, is having a button to activate your circuit for your 2 step. Not that tech is really a thing anymore, but NHRA didn?t like that in theory, you could also deactivate the 2 step with the same button, and in Stock you aren?t allowed to launch off of a switch or button activated by hand.
Now, I?m not sure if I?m just ignorant, oblivious, etc, but I don?t understand the issue of having a brake pressure switch active during the run. My 2 step is activated at 600psi. More than likely, if you?re using more than 5-600psi on a run, you are probably not going to be under power, and probably close to locking up the front brakes. To the best of my knowledge, if engine rpm is above the 2 step rpm, ignition will be cut completely.
Old Today, 10:24 AM   #24
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 531 Times in 208 Posts

Makes sense about the brake pressure switch being active down track and not triggering the 2 step because you're not applying enough pressure to trigger it....

The info I've gathered here has helped Thanks...
Rich Biebel is online now   Reply With Quote