HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old Today, 01:28 PM   #21
TOSTO RACING

Liked 483 Times in 141 Posts
Default Re: Where?s Alan Reinhardt?

They run everyone off that actually does a good job and cares ! Problem is they don't care !

I hope Alan is still around he is the best!
Old Today, 02:31 PM   #22
Billy Hampton

Liked 45 Times in 16 Posts

Why do we choose NHRA in the first place? Is it the so called prestige of making a pass at a "national event" that actually never makes it on TV? or is it the "enhancements" that continually chip away at our enjoyment? Maybe its the cost of the tech cards that in no way are commensurate with the payouts.

I would offer the following as the real reasons:

It is the competitive nature of S and SS, the friendships and history of the class along with bragging rights of event wins. Opportunity for sponsorship $$ perhaps?

When it comes down to it what is desperately needed is one of our well heeled "friends" in our class that would hire someone to organize a national organization with points, realistic payouts, well organized and enjoyable events at great locations that make sense. I would even add catered food and nightime entertainment to attract the next generation of fan and racer alike.

And most importantly a support team of video production and promotion that would actually get 10's of thousands of views on streaming services that would naturally attract manufacturer and related sponsorships. (unlike the whopping "hundreds" of views we see now for divisional events).

Coordinating with local parts suppliers and dealerships ahead of the events, like NASCAR used to do by displaying our vehicles as the show-pieces they truly are. This would add butts to the seats also.

The $$ is in eyeballs. Someone with production and advertising background could take a serious approach to this and see it flourish. Kiss Gendora goodbye forever- Non profit my *****. Get real.
Old Today, 03:59 PM   #23
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 7,059 Times in 1,587 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Hampton View Post
When it comes down to it what is desperately needed is one of our well heeled "friends" in our class that would hire someone to organize a national organization with points, realistic payouts, well organized and enjoyable events at great locations that make sense. I would even add catered food and nightime entertainment to attract the next generation of fan and racer alike.
"When it comes down to it", NHRA would never allow a direct competitor to stage an event at any of it's sanctioned tracks.

What is "NORMAL"???
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:31 PM   #24
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 468 Times in 218 Posts

Ah the typical hate on the NHRA that this site is known for yet you all keep showing up and paying to play in their sandbox. Too fucing funny!
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:48 PM   #25
Dan Bennett

Liked 412 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
"When it comes down to it", NHRA would never allow a direct competitor to stage an event at any of it's sanctioned tracks.
This is key. It's right up there with the proxy that gave the board total power. I've always thought it's why the IHRA never gained ground.

The NHRA worked hard through the years at locking up the best facilities. The contracts severely limit what sorts of events a track owner could hold.

I don't disagree with the formation of a new, more racer friendly organization, but considering: 1) the length of time it would take for enough significant tracks' contracts to expire 2) actually being able to convince them to move to an untested thing 3) the ability to provide an equal insurance package for the owners 4) the uncertainty whether racers would follow (bears on the getting worse treatment but still doing it) - It would take incredibly deep pockets to keep funding in place to get the job done over what would take years.

And then, finding capable people to staff the organization. We've seen how the suits have just ghosted people that they think crossed them. Would enough good people be willing to permantly burn that bridge and maybe eventually not be able to do what they love?
Dan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:14 PM   #26
Dan Bennett

Liked 412 Times in 94 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by reig3 View Post
Definitely miss Lewis Bloom announcing and stats!

This may look like I posted twice in a row, and I know we're getting a bit off track. But it's my chance to share something about Bob Frey. I spent a lot of time with most of the announcers during my days with DRC working in the tower.

I doubt that many people know, but Bob has the most extensive drag racing computer database I know of - miles ahead of anything else and something he's spent countless hours on. He has a massive literature collection that any facts had been harvested from, and he actually updated his program every day. Not monthly, or after a race was over. Daily.

And considering how slow the NHRA was to embrace technology, and the staff cuts after they did, I'd bet it's better than what they have.

A group of us would often go to dinner after the day ended and it was great conversation. But Bob was always the first to leave by a bunch. He'd go back to his room, update the database, and do extensive research for the next day's announcing. Yes, he had a great memory but a lot of info was from the hours of research and prep he'd done the night before.

I consider Louis a good friend, and there were few people I knew who were as motivated as he was/is. But unless he came up with his own after I left the tour, his information came from Bob's records since he sort of took him under his wing when the "kid" at the time first started annoucing. Not a slam on Bloom in any way since he was one of the best. More trying to shine a light on Bob.
Dan Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:45 PM   #27
Billy Hampton

Liked 45 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bennett View Post
This is key. It's right up there with the proxy that gave the board total power. I've always thought it's why the IHRA never gained ground.

The NHRA worked hard through the years at locking up the best facilities. The contracts severely limit what sorts of events a track owner could hold.

I don't disagree with the formation of a new, more racer friendly organization, but considering: 1) the length of time it would take for enough significant tracks' contracts to expire 2) actually being able to convince them to move to an untested thing 3) the ability to provide an equal insurance package for the owners 4) the uncertainty whether racers would follow (bears on the getting worse treatment but still doing it) - It would take incredibly deep pockets to keep funding in place to get the job done over what would take years.

And then, finding capable people to staff the organization. We've seen how the suits have just ghosted people that they think crossed them. Would enough good people be willing to permantly burn that bridge and maybe eventually not be able to do what they love?

That is a well-thought-out set of reasons. Thank you for sharing. Makes sense.