View Single Post
Old 11-30-2017, 11:17 AM   #17
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 646 Times in 207 Posts
Cool Re: Interesting or Funny Car Stories

Many,many moons ago, I had a 62 Chevy Impala SS with a 409 and a 4 speed. I had put an 11 inch clutch in the car, a scatter shield,a 12 bolt out of a Chevelle with 4.56's,and a pair of H60x15's in the rear when we weren't running slicks for the original Irwindale. I drove it on the street occasionally, but it was such a brutal car that it was easy to attract the wrong kind of attention. We went to lunch with a buddy, and I wa fixing to drop him off, and one block before his house on a rather narrow residential street, some guy was out in the middle of the street talking to some guy in a van,blocking the street. I drove up, waited, engine idling and all, they ignored us, so I threw about a five grand rev. Loud to say the least. The guy blocking the street in his van drove up and pulled over to the curb,and the other guy walked up to my window, cussed us out real loud, and told me that if I ever did that again,blah bla bla, so i said, "What did you say? Take this"! I shoved the shifter forward, five granted the 409 and dropped the clutch. At first, it seemed like we were barely moving, then the car oozed forward,never hooking up. It seemed the shifter selected third rather than first, and the street tires never hooked up. All I could see in the rear view mirror was gray tire smoke rolling up into the air. I stayed in it, and when we got to the end of the block, I stopped at the stop sign, went up the next block to bud's house, and he got out. He said,"That guy's going to kill you for that!!" I said,"He doesn't know where I live, and you're not gonna tell him!" Six months later, we went somewhere in another car, and as we went down that street, two ten inch wide by 400 foot long tire marks were still very visible in the street, starting at his house. It never pays to lip off to other people in public.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote