View Single Post
Old 01-01-2018, 10:49 AM   #9
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts
Default Re: Contingency money?

"Back in the day", when we ran "dual point distributors", win class at a National event, an ACCEL rep would be down by the scales. He would have you open the hood to see the distributor, had me pull the cap a couple of times (guess to verifybit still had their points in it), and pay you right there.

One asked me about the extra wires. I had a toggle switch the shifter would trip going into second gear. Retarding the timing 4 degrees. Timing retards when you turn the second set on.

He found me Sunday morning in the pits, and asked me more about it. Nice guy, we bench raced a while.
I had spent some time on my old (wasn't old then) Sun distributor machine moving one set, and screwing with the dwell, to get that down to four degrees. Two degrees on the distributor machine. Let one of my "speed secrets" out. :-) was not real long until Accel released a distributor set up for that. Was worth 5 hundredths on the little engine.

Lots of things we developed & did our selves back then. That was the Spring Nats at the old Dallas track. Had to run Buddy Ingersol with the first "professionally built" (Truppi & Kling) engine I had raced. Now, it's all the time. Most everybody just writes checks now. Ran Buddy first round of class, then Sonny Bryant & I in the class final. Got our 7" tires measured at the scales too. Only class winners got to run eliminations on Sunday.