View Single Post
Old 09-10-2010, 07:29 PM   #14
Tom Simon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Inline 4 cylinder comp motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bench Racer View Post
I am sure the inline 4's are a different animal than the aircooled VW's but the standard for the vw drag engines is the 48 ida's. with IR induction. There are several different performance manifolds options for the Bug engine that utilize a single carb ranging from a 2bbl, or a 4bbl setup. The single carb performance setup on a bug is normally only seen on a mild street car or in a racing class where rules call for stock carburation. I know a lot of the trends in car performance is spread by the monkey see monkey do thing, but when it comes to the quickest n/a aircooled VW's it will have 48 IDA's and IR manifolds. Don Jackson
That's true, the norm in the flat-4 world is ubiquitous Weber 48IDA (and derivatives there of) I have a 146cu in flat-4 2-valve VW (with IR) that makes >2hp/cu in. Not bad for an antique 2 valve motor conceived in the 1930's with 11" pushrods!

But the debate in the VW world isn't a clean one either, I know of two racers who have experimented with a common plenum on a NA flat 4 similar to mine, he claims to have found more bottom end torque. The went moot, when the organization outlawed plenum manifolds in the normally aspirated heads-up classes, pretty much halting further development.

ProStock bike? IR

Another point of reference is the NA or 'All Motor' Honda guys that raced in NHRA's (now defunct) Sport Compact Series. Whaen I raced with those guys, I mostly saw (if not every one) individual runner intakes on the All Motor inline 4 cylinders.
Tom Simon is offline   Reply With Quote