View Single Post
Old 08-18-2016, 09:19 AM   #10
chasracer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Sportsman Racing, Making A Living!!!

YES

But it comes with caveats and realism. Your question is "can you" and I believe it can be done. Now the questions that surround that are many and are going to be different for every person. How much money a month do you need ? And be honest with yourself, are you supporting a house mortgage, wife, kids, alimony, etc, etc?

Or, are you single, unattached to anything in this world except your racecar and toolbox?

If I were the second example and a whole lot younger, then yes maybe I would take a shot at it. But getting to the point that you could do it is going to require some type of minimum investment to start with and even buying used, nothing is really cheap. A good, consistent footbrake car or roadster - sorry but I have a dragster, don't limit your races by having one - a box for it and you either go with a small RV or dualie truck. The truck means hotel rooms or sleeping in the trailer. The RV might allow you to save some money if you full time in it. Then there is the spare parts you will need, tools and entry fees. The real downside to this is the loneliness. In between races, the car honestly will not hold a conversation with you. There are also the possible long runs of no luck, bad lights, rainouts and serious drivetrain damage. All in all, a lot of it depends on your personal desire and abilities. If you're the type that can pull up to an old used car dealer and fix a few of their sales prospects for some quick cash or flip hamburgers for a week to get by, then you'll have a better shot. Or maybe just a rich uncle that likes you will take care of it. Good luck!
chasracer is offline   Reply With Quote