View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 03:46 PM   #74
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts
Default Re: Personal indexes for s/superstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Ed, that's a little harsh. "Back in the day" the old S/SS Racers weren't exactly open with their tricks and manipulations of the rules. It's not as easy to hide now with the internet and stuff.
Bracket Racing got it's boost (at least in the northeast) when the car counts went down and the Track Operators (not NHRA) phased out their S/SS programs and replaced them with a Bracket program.

OBTW, I was Racing an R/SA 66 Impala and driving it to High School during the week. One day I asked a "Prominent" Jr. Stock Racer if he could help me. The answer? "Sure kid, just tape a $100.00 bill to your air cleaner and I'll help you".
I went Bracket Racing until I learned what I was doing.
It was the track owners. We used to run Stock, Super Stock & Modified at weekly events back then. When bracket racing showed up at Tulsa, that is where the slow guys went.
I asked a couple why they were lined up with the bracket cars in the staging lanes. "I can run fast enough here." Was the answer I got more than once.
It is what happened around here. Did not need to hire sharp tech guys, no tear downs, etc. Was simpler for the track, plenty of cars. This was mid/late '60s. Used to run Stock first & third Sunday's here at Tulsa, same at Fort Smith, AR the other sundays. Good old days. May sound harsh, that is what happened. James Lee & I appeared to take turns as winner & runner up.