View Single Post
Old 12-06-2017, 08:26 AM   #73
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,772 Times in 1,519 Posts
Default Re: Personal indexes for s/superstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
I was racing back then. Bracket racing came along. The slow guys all went bracket racing, instead of learning why they were slow, and working harder. They went where they could run fast enough to win a round with no effort. If you could not run your record, you usually lost first round. We ended up with very low car counts. NHRA had to dumb it down to get the car counts back up.
Ed, that's a little harsh. "Back in the day" the old S/SS Racers weren't exactly open with their tricks and manipulations of the rules. It's not as easy to hide now with the internet and stuff.
Bracket Racing got it's boost (at least in the northeast) when the car counts went down and the Track Operators (not NHRA) phased out their S/SS programs and replaced them with a Bracket program.

OBTW, I was Racing an R/SA 66 Impala and driving it to High School during the week. One day I asked a "Prominent" Jr. Stock Racer if he could help me. The answer? "Sure kid, just tape a $100.00 bill to your air cleaner and I'll help you".
I went Bracket Racing until I learned what I was doing.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote