View Single Post
Old 12-13-2017, 08:48 AM   #13
BKSG1198
VIP Member

Liked 984 Times in 299 Posts
Default Re: .370 back to .400 Pro Tree

Drew,

We use a .400 & .500 Tree in MASGA & MASSA. Its always been one of those "touchy" subjects with the series and one I dread every time someone brings it up. I did a poll in the off season and let the members vote on what tree they wanted. Only member who were signed up for points in 2016 & 2017 were allowed to vote. Super Comp was a landslide 27-5 in favor of the .370 tree that we currently use but, Super Gas & Super Street were a practical split, so I went to E-Town D1 race and talked with some of the racers who voted for the .370 / .470 tree just to ask their thoughts. It was mixed just like this conversation is and the Facebook petition is. A lot of the racers said they were "Not Happy" that the tree is at .370 but, since NHRA is the only game in town besides the series (Now that IHRA is defunct and that was a .400 / .500 tree) and it's a wally to win they suck it up and roll the dice and attend because as stated before it's very hard to go bracket racing with one of these cars in the format they are in. When I asked the members who voted for the .400 / .500 tree what would happen if we went to a .370 / .470 tree in the series a lot of people told me that they would be looking to possibly go bracket racing or IHRA Racing (This is before they dropped the bombshell about no more sportsman racers). I had to make the choice to do what is going to keep cars coming to the .90 events so we stayed with a .400 / .500 tree. I can tell you I have racers who have told me they would come to more D1 races if it was a .400 / .500 tree, Unfortunately, I think the people who sold / quit .90 racing some 10 years ago won't run out and buy a new car if the tree changes. I know from conversations at my events people like Dave Harvey Jr. & Sr., Jimmy Young, Mike Lauria and a few others said they would come play and I think it's not about getting the old people back but, maybe introducing it to bracket racers who always wanted to try it out but, knew they wouldn't be competitive.

I think a lot of racers were mad because as Drew said it was changed in mid-season. Like I said, I remember going to Maple Grove for the LODRS and we couldn't hit the tree with a cannon that weekend and we thought "The rollout is screwed up or the beams are raised" so we went to Atco for the LODRS and was in the same boat so we changed Shocks, Four-Links, Bought new tires from Hoosier, Changed Air Pressure, etc over two weekends of racing and beat our head against the wall. We go to a MASGA Race the following weekend and Lucky comes over and says "What Tree do you guys want? We were like what are you talking about Lucky and he told us...Oh yeah they changed the tree to a .370 tree." I think if they just came out on January 1st, 20-- and said Press Release "Beginning in the 20-- racing season due to us changing over to the LED Bulbs we are changing to a Led Compensated .370 / .470 Pro Tree." This way people knew what the heck was going on. I mean I try to keep everyone informed as to whats going on with the .90 Series.
BKSG1198 is offline   Reply With Quote