View Single Post
Old 09-25-2018, 02:55 PM   #25
RPM5595

Liked 32 Times in 14 Posts
Default Re: Manual trans only in 83 Mustang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
Since it seems this guy "has" to have a V8 and automatic, the obvious thing to do is to convert the nose piece and taillights, and run the car as a 79 302 2 barrel combo. Since NHRA gave the 302 2 barrels a drastic HP reduction a few years ago, there have been more and more showing up, often near the top of the qualifying sheets. The 82 only 302 2 barrel "High Output" Mustang/Capri combo looks pretty good too (Bigger cam and carb), but you have to run "That Scary" manual transmission with that package!
As for the 88 TBird, not sure if the engine combo is much different, but there is a 86 TBird 302 in Div. 7 that has been running for several years .
Rory, it's not that he "has" to have a automatic. I never said anything about the manual trans being "scary"? The price to get into a decent manual trans setup is just too much for him right now compared to using a C4. Wouldn't you rather see some new people coming into Class racing than not just because he can't afford a stick? Believe me, he would love to row the gears. So would I. But in my case, I can't currently swing upwards of 10k for a stick and good clutch for my SS/AS car so it's going to be a automatic. For now.

As for the 2 bbl 302, sounds interesting. The 87 Tbird uses the same 302 HO as the 87-93 Mustangs according to NHRA specs. I'm very familiar with that combination in a Mustang. Even have some parts leftover. just trying to give him the best options available to hopefully get him into a Stocker.
RPM5595 is offline   Reply With Quote