View Single Post
Old 01-23-2019, 08:47 AM   #3
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts
Default Re: Dime Rocket Economics

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian schuetta View Post
When building a dime rocket combo there are decisions to be made on where to spend the money to keep it a, well, " dime " rocket. So for the an engine like the 305 2bbl does it make sense to use a low tension ring set with relatively cheap piston? I don't think a lot of head work would be necessary either, such as the throat/bowl work like something on the 305 4bbl combos. Don't really have any good idea on the cam specs either at this point as far as duration. There was a bit of difference from where I started with the 4bbl combo cam duration and where I ended up. All the core parts are here, block, heads, intake, carb etc. with the accepted cheap Scat rods and cast pistons. Our members opinions?
Well, I've got Silvolite cast pistons in my 307 Chebby and the short-block is 12 years old. You're not dealing with a 7700 RPM combo here maybe 6500.
I also don't "play" with the latest trick-of-the-week ring package. You're just not going to find enough to make it worth it. I like good, old fashioned cast re-builders rings. If I have the time, I'll back-cut the second ring and I'll play mix and match with oil ring rails and expanders. Don't be afraid to use a std. expander (even the used one) with a .030 rail on a .030 piston (break out the old "fish scale" and start pulling pistons through blocks with your oil ring assembled on it!).
I've gotten in trouble making cam suggestions on here before but IMHO,you don't put 8000 RPM cams in 6000 RPM motors. The carburetor is going to dictate where the engine is going to make it's peak power. Don't go too big on the cam. Cylinder pressure is your friend.
I don't think that you're going to have any problems with air-flow in a "stock" 2V 305 head. DO at least use a one piece stainless valve. You can find plenty of decent ones on E-Bay for a "dime" budget.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked