View Single Post
Old 06-25-2007, 06:35 PM   #5
Tom Turner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I went through this with NHRA on my Corvette stockers (Fred and Barney, not the 96). As early as 1995, AC Delco saw fit to replace MOST brass radiators with Alum/plastic units; I asked: " If the O.E replacement is Alum/Plastic, why is THAT not legal?" They answered with a question: "is it a direct bolt in replacement?" The answer is "yes". It's LEGAL! The unfortunate part here is that AC Delco neglected to make a direct fit replacement for the 69 and 70 model years (Camaro and Nova) due to bracketry on the tanks as opposed to rubber saddles on the bottom of the core support and a sheet metal saddle bracket/fan shield on top like the 71-72 cars. A crafty guy would sneak a 20044 AC Delco radiator in there with some 72 saddles and top mount. Done nicely it would take a pretty serious purist to notice and "who cares?" By the way, my trick alum/plastic radiator with my Flex-A-Lite dual fan attached is a whoppin' 1.5 lbs lighter than my brass junker. I took nearly 10 times that much weight off the nose with an ATI balancer and a Meziere water pump; both legal. It's another rule that could stand a little "enhancement"
Tom Turner is offline   Reply With Quote