View Single Post
Old 05-21-2009, 03:14 PM   #24
ddartdude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: '66 Dodge D-Dart at Mecum auction

I was the second owner of the D/Dart (last three of the VIN -- 933) that was at the Mecum Auction. Up until 2 years ago, I owned both the car that went up for auction and also Ted Spehar and Ralph Costa's old racecar called "The Politician" (the first D/Dart built -- 888).

The original owner of 933 was a guy named Andy Caldwell. He bought it "New" from a dealership somewhere in the DC area where he was stationed. He said he raced it for one year at Aquasco. I think he then was assigned somewhere in California. He told me he drove the car in California for 70,000 miles with the 4.86 gears in it. The car had a 3.23 open rear in it when I bought it.

When I bought it, in the trunk were the original Doug's headers, the factory y-pipe, a pair of 36" header extensions, the 4.86 posi unit, the factory hubcaps, and the wheel lip moldings. Not a bad haul. It also had a decoded VIN and fender tag sheet from Galen. Not sure if Galen even saw the car in person.

I sold it less carb, carb spacer, air cleaner, choke cable, headers, y-pipe, 4.86 gears. But the original engine when with it.

The body on the car was really solid. I was told by the guy I sold it to that he sent it some 500 miles away to a really good bodyman. I'm sure he did a good job on it. I was making it into a driver so that's why the newer master cylinder and proportioning valve were put in. And no, it does not have disc brakes. The engine was another 273 that I bought along the way to drive the car. Nothing really fancy.

The fuel lines on the D/Dart were routed up over the inner fender, by the factory, to clear the headers. The cars were not -- heater delete. Just radio delete.

I heard from the guy that runs the D/Dart web site that the reserve on the car was $50K. He was watching the live feed on the Mecum site. I think that would have been a fair price for the car.

Just talked to a guy that just taked to Bob Banning. Bob Banning Dodge got about 7 or 8 D/Darts back in 1966. Bob learned how to drag race in one of them.

Alan

Last edited by ddartdude; 05-21-2009 at 06:22 PM.
ddartdude is offline   Reply With Quote