View Single Post
Old 09-06-2014, 01:47 PM   #20
Sean Marconette

Liked 165 Times in 60 Posts
Default Re: Legal seats for stock eliminator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
Have to wonder how many racers would invest in the "safer" race seats if they were required to be at least as heavy as the OE seats they removed.
FWIW,
The weight savings was only 15lbs each on mine. That includes the aluminum square tubing used to fabricate the mounts too. Welded tabs to the rear bar and brackets to secure the seat back to the bar were necessary for my Kirkey seats. By the time I was done purchasing the seats, brackets and material it would have been a wash to have my originals recovered. My original seats were like Bobby described, they were bent. I looked for replacements for years, but could not find the same seats. As for how much room between the rear bar and where the seat back is, depends on the car, and drivers seating position. A stick car vs an auto car also makes a difference. Range of movement for a clutch pedal and leverage for the shifter for fast shifts needs to be considered.
From a safety standpoint the Kirkeys vs my GT Sport seats are like night and day. Do they look OEM no, but we are also racing against 150+ MPH cars.

To the OP, there has been a lot of posts on this topic when this rule change came about. I would suggest doing a search.

Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote