View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 05:59 PM   #35
Ben Kallies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Help!! Engine Miss

Well, it's winter in WI, and I had to put my car to bed without having found a solution to the mysterious engine miss. I did however, make some progress in November.

I installed a brand new HEI distributor with a single wire going direct to the battery. In theory, this should eliminate the entire ignition system from the equation. Needless to say, the problem persisted.

With the HEI still in place, I installed another carburetor that Dean Oliver was kind enough to let me try. The carb was fresh, and set up for a small block, and a bit leaner than my other carb. With this setup, the miss was definitely less severe, but persisted nonetheless.

Feeling pretty confident about the state of the ignition and fuel system, I turned my attention back to the engine. I pulled the covers, and checked and reset all the valves. #4 intake was bit loose, but the rest looked good. I can't think of any other mechanical issues that would cause a miss like this.

I've got a couple of months to let the brain gears turn before I can go back to actually working on the car (damn non-heated garage), so I'd love some input regarding a good springtime game plan. We'll get it figured out eventually. Thanks

-Ben Kallies
Ben Kallies is offline   Reply With Quote