View Single Post
Old 02-02-2018, 11:17 AM   #20
Steve Stasko

Liked 230 Times in 121 Posts
Default Re: 1966 Ply Belvedere

1966 Hemi Plymouths are not rare. 1966 is the highest production model year for all 426 Hemi cars from 1966-71.

As far as the scoop thing...

There are some internal memos floating around that describe a proposed package for the 1966 model year. It never got any further than that though. There was never any paperwork or information released to the public. The '67 car package is similar to the '66 package, but a little more tamed down. I seem to recall that the '66 package was to include a '65 style engine, I may be wrong on that though.

As far as the hood scoop, they were all steel on the '67 cars, and even the '65 cars for that matter. The '65 and '67 scoops are different. As for fiberglass scoops, it's either a repop or a '65 A/FX scoop, which would be noticeably different than the standard '67 scoop.

I do not agree with scoops on the '66 cars, and I'm a Mopar guy. The scoop does not offer much for a performance advantage in the way of "fresh" air, but in S/S I guess it would help with a taller intake if one would go that route.

Side note...I don't believe the '67 package cars were officially announced until very late '66, if not early '67. From my research, Sox and Landy were running standard hood cars at the AHRA Winters, and NHRA Winters in '67. I have determined that RO/WO production did not start until late February or early March of '67, and lasted for 6-8 weeks in small batches. While the cars did have sequential Shipping Order numbers, the VIN number spread between the earliest and latest cars I have recorded is quite large dispelling the "two batch" theory that has been purported by many.
Steve Stasko is offline   Reply With Quote