View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #20
BLIND MULE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Foxbody Stocker/Bracket Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
Not a Stock or S/S car with a stick, is it? Yeah, I`ve seen several 9 to high 8 second "power adder" type Mustangs work with a 8.8, BUT those cars normally launch fairly lightly, with low boost, retarded timing, etc, and then once its rolling get to full power. Hardly the same thing as dropping the clutch at 6000+ RPM. Plus with the high speeds those boosted cars run, they normally run much less rear gear ratio than a Stocker. With no Pro gears available for a 8.8, I`ve broke 2 sets of 5.13 "street gears" in my 85 Mustang stickshift Stocker, running mid-low 12s. Don`t forget the low ratio gears a Stocker typically runs have much fewer teeth on the pinion, and shorter teeth on the ring gear, than say a 3.7-4.10 ratio, and are obviously more prone to impact breakage. Then factor in the weak axle tubes, and poorer ratio selection, compared to a 9", and I certainly would prefer a 9" over the 8.8, at least with the stick.
This car would probably run 7.20s but I get what you are saying, basically it shocks everything more.. The way we build the braces for the housing, i'm not saying you couldn't break a tube but I'd have to see you break or bend one. Thanks for the info
BLIND MULE is offline   Reply With Quote