View Single Post
Old 08-13-2007, 09:40 PM   #95
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: 62 Chevrolet, STILL No Traction

I once had the Scubeck fully composite bodied lifters. Lost one on about the eigth run. Shattered like glass all over the place. I pulled the engine, dropped the pan and intake and used a case of Brake Kleen in order to make a race the following weekend. Bad move. Lost oil pressure and ring seal. I had another engine loose the puck, like yours. Broke the camshaft, lost a pair or pistons and rods as a result. I had Shermans and they cupped almost instantly. I had my machinest build me some using ductile iron solids converted to quasi hydraulic (because if Schubeck can get away with it why can't I?). Geez, didn't have any problems there but in the end I went with another set of Schubecks on a billet cam. Yea, very pricey!
I've had oiling problems I've rectified as well. But not without penalty along the way. Just as you, I took an unknown (AMC) and made it one of the baddest Stockers out there. Just as you with your 409, it's a long road. Either you overcome adversity or you bail. Anybody can put together a 305 or 350 (not picking on anybody, just an example), but you chose the unknown. That's the charm for Stock, either you got what it takes or you don't!
I say sell that Jaguar and buy new parts!