View Single Post
Old 12-10-2017, 06:40 PM   #48
goinbroke2

Liked 173 Times in 59 Posts
Default Re: Interesting or Funny Car Stories

'88 or '89 I was racing in Maitland and was done for the day. Watched a local guy in his first gen Camaro blow it up and when he towed back to the pits decided to drive 6hrs each way to get a replacement engine from his shop. I volunteered to help his crew chief pull the big block. Everything done, all we needed was a chain, the track had an old tractor with a bucket we could use to lift it. One guy volunteered his 3/8 chain (or was it 5/16"?) Anyway, I said no, I have big chain I tie my mustang down with, I'll go get it. Well, jumped into the back of my 1 ton, grabbed the chains and jumped down and started running back to the other pit. Being that it was about midnight and I had a couple beer and the big track lights were directly in my eyes, I ran full tilt into my trailer fender folding right over and taking the wind out of me. Chest hurt like hell so I slowly carried the chains across the pits. Got there just in time to see the engine 6ft in the air dangling by that tiny chain as the tractor backed up. Of course, chain snapped and down came the engine, destroying the ed hamburg pan/crank trigger/damper/etc/etc. I just turned around and went to my tent. Got up the next morning still in pain, went to the line and as soon as the car shook from the burnout I stopped and waved to the track guys. Monday went to the hospital and found 2 broke ribs and 2 cracked.
For those in the Maritimes, it was Ray Roach's Camaro.
goinbroke2 is offline   Reply With Quote