View Single Post
Old 07-14-2017, 10:21 PM   #17
63corvette

Liked 281 Times in 88 Posts
Default Re: Trailer Wheel Bearing Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by voltdr View Post
Rick,
As far as the American-made and off-shore-made bearings, one may be better and stronger but all of the bearings on your trailer were the same and only one failed.
Just saying.
Dan
Yes, you brought up an interesting point I had not considered about the loading inside the trailer. I had not considered that.
The tool cabinets are on the road side like the failure along with the generator.
It is a 24 ft trailer so space is limited by the length. I had it custom made at 24 ft to stay within the total length laws with the 40 ft tow vehicle.
I am looking to rearrange some of the load to the rear and reduce the tongue weight and maybe take some load off the front axle but that is going to be difficult with the lift.
The loading inside of the trailer may be the key.
This is a 24 ft stacker trailer with 3 7000-8000 lb axles with a gross weight of under 16,000 lbs. It weighs just under 9,300 lbs empty.

The reason I am changing the bearings to USA made is the friend I help with a Top Sportsman car has his bearings packed yearly at a trailer place in Phoenix AZ. They told him anytime they find a China made wheel bearing they throw it away and replace it with a USA made. They told him the China made bearings are good for only one year of use.
Of course they sell bearings so they have an incentive to do that also.

I have all the parts now to rework the front axle and will get that done next week.
Then it is off on a 1200 mile round trip racing trip on which I hope there are no bearing problems.
Thanks for the info and I will post upon return from the racing trip on how the bearings hold up.
Rick Cates

Last edited by 63corvette; 07-14-2017 at 10:26 PM.
63corvette is offline   Reply With Quote