View Single Post
Old 10-24-2015, 11:02 PM   #85
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,063 Times in 281 Posts
Default Re: Schubeck lifters

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Noland View Post
This is not always true. Some of these lifters were crap when they left the manufacturers. The Schubeck lifters that came apart last year were junk from the start but only two people knew that, Schubeck and Smith. Apparently, Joe had a ton of pucks all set up and received a batch of lifters with ID's that very a tad to big to get the correct press fit when installing the pucks. No problem. Joe had the remedy. Loctite! That's right he put a bunch of those lifters together with Loctite. I checked my broken lifters after hearing this bit of news and sure enough there was a flattened patch of Loctite inside. And from what I was told it's the closed pressure that presents the biggest problem for any lifter - no matter the brand.

No doubt there have been some poor quality ceramic puck lifters in circulation. Possibly very poor quality, in some way or another.

That is the primary reason people are making the switch to tool steel. Unfortunately, tool steel lifters are considerably more work than the ceramic puck lifters.

Oh, there should be no doubt that closed pressure can break lifters. Or, more to the point, rather, the lack of closed pressure. If your valves are bouncing on the seats, your lifters are separated from the camshaft by a significant distance, and there is no gentle ramp to take that distance up. That is possibly even worse than lofting.