View Single Post
Old 11-28-2018, 08:12 PM   #6
DailyDriverSst

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: 1 battery or 2, 12V

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny5160 View Post
I run 2 batteries with an alternator on my door car. I can and have run the entire season without hooking up a battery charger. I also put relatively few demands on the electrical system, with a belt-driven fuel pump and almost no fan usage when the car is not running.

I've not run 16 volts, but I'm considering it for my dragster which has always had 1 battery and alternator. I do put the charger on that after a few runs.

I'm not sure if 16 volts is a reasonable consideration with the "daily driver" thing. It sounds like voltage is your primary concern rather than reserve capacity. I understand that more reserve should lessen or slow the voltage drop when demand is high.
I would have to step-down most of the factory electrical to 12, and I wouldn't (easily) have a way to run a 16 volt alternator.

The PCM on my platform controls the 3 wire alternator, so charging once running at temperature isn't an issue. Just the initial start when the engine is cold.

I thought about using 1/0 wire when i wired the truck, but I thought 2 gauge would be "good enough". It sure beats the 6 gauge it came from the factory with, despite being about 25 feet longer, with the battery being relocated and master switch installed.
DailyDriverSst is offline   Reply With Quote