View Single Post
Old 11-30-2018, 01:34 AM   #11
DailyDriverSst

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Default Re: 1 battery or 2, 12V

The battery cables are about 3 years old. The connectors are copper plated and the wire is 100% copper. The connections were crimped first, then soldered.

The issue isn't that the engine spins over slow (at least, at first). It's that it takes about 30 seconds of spinning before it starts to cough and start firing. About that time is when the starter slows down and it gets into a low voltage situation where the fuel injectors won't fire with the starter spinning. If I'm lucky, i can keep it spinning fast enough that when i release the starter, the injectors will start to fire while it's spinning down and it will start running on it's own. Usually that isn't the case. (Also, the whole starter/injector conflict is common on all the 97-05 dodge trucks. The low voltage cutout for fuel is somewhere around 11.25, spark cuts out around 10.5).

Even though it's on pump gas, it's starting ability is up there with a low compression N/A alcohol engine. It just doesn't like being cold.

I'm considering adding a 120VAC block heater over winter to help get the engine warmed up a bit, but I'm also considering adding the second battery so that I can keep spinning it over until it catches at full speed. With a group 75 battery one would think there would be enough reserve to last longer than that, but it's also a 4 year old battery.
DailyDriverSst is offline   Reply With Quote