View Single Post
Old 09-23-2019, 09:04 PM   #36
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 510 Times in 200 Posts
Default Re: ONAN Marquis Gold 7000 Gas

I have serviced and repaired the 7kw gas units since they redesigned them. Had a long list of mobile dog groomers that came to me regularly. They have vans and the generators were mounted in various places over the years by basically one builder. They build a number of different vehicles and the latest is a Dodge Ram long van with the generator in the back on the floor in a compartment with a door and completely enclosed. The cool air intake is below the floor and the hot air exhaust area is completely isolated with a screw together sheet metal cover. I just serviced the one I point to all the time. 3755 hrs and the young lady takes great care of it. Oil changes and full service as recommended by Onan. It’s 5 years old and like new. Does not get road debris in it and runs as good as one could with that many hours. Serviced another long time customer last week. Older style van with Gen in rear side compartment and on support legs as all of those are. 7750 hours and I’ve repaired it a few times. New cyl heads at 3 or 4 thousand hours. She’s probably my longest dog groomer van customer.
Installs are terrible on many vehicles. The builders never read the install guidelines. Food trucks and sign trucks ....and I’ve seen racer trailers just as bad or worse.

Heat kills these machines, they are AIR cooled !!

Ask Lee and Brian Valentine about their Onan that would shut down last year at MG Div. Race. A new LQ trailer with Gen install by the trailer builder. A fan blowing on the unit kept it going. I gave Lee some suggestions and they made some changes and it’s been ok.

I need to add that no Onan air cooled machine has any specific hi temp shutdown sensor.
They just shutdown from either control board overheating or a vapor lock/ carb issue. The heat also kills the plastic floats in the carb. and you cannot buy any parts for that carb. I replace them often anymore. A Complete carb is all you can get.

Last edited by Rich Biebel; 09-23-2019 at 09:18 PM.
Rich Biebel is offline   Reply With Quote