View Single Post
Old 01-09-2019, 03:50 PM   #100
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,664 Times in 851 Posts
Default Re: Why is NASCAR Dying ? Video !

I’m convinced there are no strategic discussions in the Ivory Tower...recall Clifford having group discussions with racers, with nothing of note coming from it. It seems to be focused on the Nitro powerhouses of DSR and JFR with spattering of Kallita and such. Capture the short attention span of the casual fans and then let them fill the midways looking for wares and overpriced concessions. FSS is refreshing but mostly just a interesting filler until the Fuel cars roll back to the lanes. Strategically they shouldn’t have jerked around the PS cars. Fuel Injection, any engine in identical carbon fiber Camaros, “helping” them with a 18 race schedule but making them run the Western Swing while sitting out places like Charlotte and Bristol (but that’s ok because they’ll now insert Mountain Motor PS there) all the while pushing Pro Mod as the replacement class. They change the fuel rules to speed them up, then slow them back down. They need racers calling the shots, not suits who are apparently as lost as the NASCAR hierarchy. NHRA’s arrogance increases, emboldened by the demise of IHRA as an alternative. They say “take it or leave it” and 99% of the time we take it, simply because the sport is in our blood and there is no cure. I’m always struck by Alan Reinhart’s (or Frey/McClelland) enthusiasm as he announces true sportsman classes. You’re thinking “my gosh, it doesn’t get much better than this” and then look around and there’s nobody in the stands and just us sportsman types and crews hugging the fence. Perhaps we’re the relics just hanging on to the IC power train and NHRA has already accepted that reality and is just nursing it as long as possible. In any case Wally Parks envisioned a great sport that sure has been a great ride. At some point, be it either in a Chevy Volt or Nursing Home Wheelchair I and many others will continue to feed the competitive spirit, just don’t think it will be quite the same.
jmcarter is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked