View Single Post
Old 04-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #4
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: DP #24 Engine failure....

Not being "contrary" or arguing just explaining why how what we came to our conclusions.

If you had a timing chain problem, odds are you would not have one bent valve, but rather eight, or maybe even sixteen.

I didnt say it broke I said I believe it backlashed when it freespun this would generally ONLY affect 1 valve , and not even neccesarily 1 , depending on where in the roatation occured.

It is VERY rare for a bent valve to bend a rod, break a piston, or kill a wrist pin.

I didnt say the valve bent, I said it tapped, and our pockets are dead on anglewise and 3/4 the diamater of the valve face. The valve is not bent or stuck (there may be minor runount now of course) but its not "bent" as in at issue. When it contacted as is evident by the very clear impression on the cylinder it was very near tdc, unlike the other and prior valve hit that it with a "hung" valve where the valve did bend and the mark was nearly an inch off.

Nor did I say, or mean to infer a valve broke things, rather the peening of the bearing on the crank started issues which escalated from there.

I said or thought I said, the rod was bent on #4 by the exit of #3, the wrist pin kill and piston issue was caused by the crank shearing the hung rod on a Subsequent roatation while the piston was low in the bore, there is also evidence of this on the bottom of the piston , the crank and the rod.

Bluing of the journal, the bearing, or the rod is a sign of a lubrication problem, and/or a problem with the rod staying round.

Correct, which comes first though ? The chicken or the egg ? In this case we think the smack on the bearing caused by the hard valve tap started what ended up with either the bearing getting peened against the crank,

And there are absolutley no other signs anywhere in the engine of lubrication issues, we were pretty sure we would see them, we my father especially was very suprised not only not to but to see things as well as they were everywhere else.

So, explain why ONLY on the rod where the valve smacked, is there evidence of bluing and perfectly in pocket the tap is (on other engines if it had occured after the rod broke its not usually perfeclty in line with where it should be)

Im being serious and not a dikk , I am curious as to alternative explanations to why on #3 where the valve hit, all the other damage would be centered. and when its pretty clear that #3 hit at TDC or close , we are talking a very small amount, the only thing I can see to account for this would be backlash, OR its possible that the whole debacle was perfectly timed and the rod broke first causing the rod to be propelled upward with the assembly at the exact time the exhaust valve was only say 100 down and the mark was a marvelous coincidence of timing ? Or is it more likley the cam fell slightly retarded in relation to the crank for a moment and this started things in motion ?

If there was no binding or galling of rockers, guides, no bent valve, nothing else and adequate ptv clearance, and no other taps, how else can this be accounted for ?

Excessive RPM, especially in a burnout, will often over stress the rods, especially on the exhaust stroke where there is little or no resistance to upward piston motion, and only the rod stops it.

Agreed.

When a rod bolt shears, it is usually a sign that the bolt was not properly preloaded.

Thats incorrect, In this case, I saw it done on this engine at Stantons facility in person on this engine.

I've never seen a need to spin an engine past 5K in a burnout. I count it as I'm doing a very poor job of driving if I even hit the burnout chip I usually set at 5500

Really only second time in a car ? And at that in a FI car with the setup we have ? It wasnt intentional of course you are correct in that there wasnt a need. Hmmmm.... I wouldnt and it wasnt me driving so. The engine will go from pretty much nothing to 8k at 55% tp in the water. Instantly. So I should have seen it and do as my failure for not anticipating someone else , and we did set the car up for multiple drivers, my fault for not anticipating the need for one. Not the drivers in a NEW and wholly different setup than they are used to.
Chris "Drooze" Wertman 3132 (F/SA 2009 Challenger Drag Pak #24 with a best of 10.59)
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote