View Single Post
Old 02-25-2009, 04:30 PM   #14
87gt50

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Adjustable front struts for Mustang who's to run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory McNeil View Post
Let us know how you make out installing those Moroso front coils in your Mustang. I have a pair that I`d like to install in my car, but you can`t use a normal coil spring compressor on a FOX Mustang, and they are so long that I`ve never had any luck installing them by letting the lower control arms hang from the inner pivots. Anybody ever install these springs (uncut) in a FOX without using the factory type Ford spring compressor?
I'm not familiar with how the factory type Ford spring compressor looks like, but I have put in uncut Moroso dragsprings on my FOX using a compressor that I believe is designed to be universal, but also fits the Mercedes springs. Its a fine threaded rod that is inserted on ths inside of the spring, then put in removable brackets on the second coil top and bottom and compress until coil bind. (I usually secure the spring here with a strap to prevent it from being able to pop out at vany point.)
Raise the A-arm to "catch" the bottom of the spring, using a jack. When fully raised, start loosening the rod, and finally remove it through the hole in the A-arm located in the center of the spring seat and remove the brackets.

I found a picture (attached) of how this compressor looks like when in pieces. This is from a Swedish store, but I'm pretty sure you can find it in the US as well.

I hope this explanation is understandable and useful.

/Joakim, Sweden N/S 88 Mustang
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spring compressor.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	647  
87gt50 is offline   Reply With Quote