View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 11:40 AM   #16
John DiBartolomeo

Liked 1,283 Times in 159 Posts
Default Re: Question for Jeff Foster and Dave Kommel

I think before anyone flies off the handle as to the root cause of the problem, I'd like to see it duplicated as Bill Koski suggests. If it was caused by a photographer's flash (No it wasn't me as I was shooting top end at the time), I had thought we fixed the problem of "shine-back" we used to have with the old spotlight and photocells where flash/sunlight/moonlight/whatever would cause a red light even though the car hadn't moved. Again, I thought going to the infrareds stopped that problem. My question is if it's back, should we be going back to black front wheels or shoe polishing them like we used to do?

Now if the problem is an infrared signal coming from the camera to light a flash, I didn't notice anyone on the starting line when I was there using remote triggering of flashes. That doesn't mean the camera wasn't still emitting an infrared signal anyway, but that's beyond my knowledge of cameras.

I've also had "red-light problem" happen to me and I never liked nor understood the answers given as to the cause. Other than wanting to see it duplicated, the only question I have is: Do we have to go back to black wheels?

When I cover the high dollar bracket races, I'm usually told not to use flashes near the starting line at night. But I too have been in the finals of a race when I staged and noticed what seemed like dozens of flashes going off in the corner of my eye. While I might not like it, it's just something you have to put out of your mind and concentrate. And of course, that also precludes us from having any final round photos.

For now though, as Bill said, I'd like to see it duplicated.
John DiBartolomeo is offline   Reply With Quote