View Single Post
Old 03-23-2018, 12:15 AM   #18

Liked 117 Times in 50 Posts
Default Re: Sportsman Racing, Making A Living!!!

When I was doing motorcycle road racing, there were a few "bounty hunters" that made a living at sportsman racing.

The cash flow in motorcycle road racing is kind of strange- there is generally no prize money in sportsman motorcycle road racing, but the contingency payments are significant. For example, $2,000 a win from the motorcycle manufacturer, plus $350 from the tire manufacturer, and so on.

A typical bounty hunter would have a motorhome and trailer that he bought with his own money, to carry two motorcycles that were provided by sponsors. The two motorcycles would each be prepared to Supersport specifications, which costs a few thousand dollars each, less sponsor support in that area. Supersport motorcycles are allowed to race in Superbike classes, and motorcycles are also allowed to race "up" a displacement class, so each motorcycle would be eligible to race in up to four classes.

For example, if the bounty hunter was provided a 650 and a 750 by his sponsoring motorcycle dealer, he could use the 650 to race 650 Supersport, 650 Superbike, 600 Supersport, and 600 Superbike, and he could use the 750 to race 750 Supersport, 750 Superbike, 1000 Supersport, and 1000 Superbike...or up to $16,000 a weekend, from the manufacturer, $2,800 from the tire manufacturer, and so on.

Tires are a major component of the expense of motorcycle road racing- a typical pair of race tires costs about $600 or so, with a discount to about $300 a pair for mid-pack experts like me, and free to the truly fast guys. And you get through a pair of tires in as little as a few laps. Guys like me use my shagged tires from last race for practice, then buy a new pair at the trackside tire vendor for race day, and try to manage our tire consumption to get through two 4-lap qualifiers and two 7-lap races. For that reason, the bounty hunters typically sit out the practice sessions and the 4-lap qualifiers, content to start from the back of the grid on a brand-new pair of tires.

Last edited by 6130; 03-23-2018 at 12:20 AM.
6130 is offline   Reply With Quote